f-body sway bar

Matt Sando

Having a hard time install my fbody sway bar it seems that the end link bolts aren't long enough to get the nut on. I am using end links for the GN. anyon have any ideas or tricks to get the nuts on???

Raise the suspension on one side at a time by jacking up under the A arm, making sure you don't hit the lower ball joint grease fitting. This usually makes the angle better and the threads protrude more making it easier. HTH!! :biggrin:

No, when I jacked up control arm the whole car lifted off the ground. I need to wait till I have my engine back in it.

I did mine with the car sitting on the ground. The engine was in it, but that should not make a huge difference. If you try to do it by lifting one side, you put the suspension into a position where the bar would normally be twisted. You could hook one side like that, but the second side would be hard to do! So, DON'T lift one side, you need to do it with the car level. I used some aftermarket end links, but they were the same length as the stock ones. Broke on of the stock ones when I was taking the old bar off.

Got an idea!

Have the girlfriend or wife--or both if they get along ;) stand on the engine crossmember, then jack it up.

Brer Rabbit said:
Have the girlfriend or wife--or both if they get along ;) stand on the engine crossmember, then jack it up.
Ha ha. I may have to subscribe to this one. This would only work if they were big boned. :biggrin:

bison said:
Ha ha. I may have to subscribe to this one. This would only work if they were big boned. :biggrin:

That's why if they are slims, then you need both...

any of the 85-92 third gen sway bars will work. the best one to get is 36MM hollow one. there found on the tuned port ws6 t/a's and z28/irocz cars with the 16" wheels

Maybe try loosening up the 4 10mm headed strap bolts. Just enough to let the bar swing in the mounts. Be carefull not to strip the threads on the frame. Tighten them up before you torque down the end links.

turbofish38 said:
Maybe try loosening up the 4 10mm headed strap bolts. Just enough to let the bar swing in the mounts. Be carefull not to strip the threads on the frame. Tighten them up before you torque down the end links.

Funny you mention that. Well, not really funny. One of mine is stripped when I removed the bar for a track run...