F Body Spring In Rear-question

GANGSTER

HAPPY WHEN IM BOOSTING!
Just put a set of f-body springs in the rear of my GN. My friend had them in a gran prix and when i put them in they gave the car the exact height i was looking for.

I was just hoping for a little reassurance from somebody that it doesnt matter that these springs dont taper on top and although it looks like they really cant go anywhere I was hoping to hear it from someone else who has done this and had no problem.
Thanks

Originally posted by GANGSTER
Just put a set of f-body springs in the rear of my GN. My friend had them in a gran prix and when i put them in they gave the car the exact height i was looking for.

I was just hoping for a little reassurance from somebody that it doesnt matter that these springs dont taper on top and although it looks like they really cant go anywhere I was hoping to hear it from someone else who has done this and had no problem.
Thanks

I tired that once, and didn't at all like the looks of things. Eventually, I installed coil-overs to get things the way I wanted.

do your coil overs mount in the stock location or did you have mounts and a crossmember put in?

We put a set of the F-body cargo coils in my brother's '81 Cutlass. They work fine.

Did you get the F-body rubber isolator also? You need that so they fit in the spring pocket better.

no, i just put the spring in but there really isnt a pocket there, just the mount where the small part of the g body spring would sit. even with a rubber snubber there it doesnt really sit in anything. it really cant go anywhere but i was just wondering, i guess we will see,thanks

I run them in both my TRs for a long time. No downside, in fact gives more room for 3" tailpipes, or any tailpipes.

If you go to a junkyard where they set the cars up off the ground, just pull a set of F-body springs, they practically fall out if the car is suspended, and pick yourself up some isolators. They'll be stuck by age to the upper saddle. They are about an inch thick. Or, pull some thinner isolators out of 83 through 90s front drive centuries/cieras. The rear springs are identical to F-body springs.

Attachments

• parts 4 sale 014.jpg
    parts 4 sale 014.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 114
Got them in mine on JD's advice. Just like he said went to a junk yard and they already had the car up off the ground at the rear shocks were removed. Cake. I wanted it a bit lower so I removed the insulators and it sits about as low as I could go with these tires now.

thanks for all the replies, I dont have the insulators but the car has a wolf bar so i dont think the springs could go anywhere even if they wanted to. Appreciate all the help.