F body Radiator

JayGord

Looking to install a Fbody Radiator in my GN, like for a 92 Z28.

I was told i need the radiator and a trans cooler but it looks like the Fbody Rad has the transcooler built in. I guess i need a oil cooler..

I'm curious to know if anyone ever did this set up and what advice they have when doing it. I'm told i dont need to run an oil cooler, but i would prefer to. Will the trans cooler on this radiator work as oil cooler and then i can just install the seperate trans cooler i got? any info much appreciated. I would really like to know what someone that has done this did.

FWIW, I have separate tranny and oil coolers both mounted in front of the condenser.

To install the radiator, you will need an external transmission cooler for sure. The fittings are different on the radiator. Now you can run around and find the fittings for it. Most of us loose the oil cooler and run a better external transmission cooler. Cools the transmission fluid better anyway! This topic was discussed and some people say run an oil cooler and half say it is not neccesary. Your choice!

yeah i actually saw a step by step guide on gnttype.org message boards, thanks for the info, i'm keeping the external tranny cooler and going to buy a nice external oil cooler too..

can i still use RJC's biggie oil filter adapter with a external oil cooler??

1987 CHEVROLET CAMARO V8 5.7 Liter Radiator:
Part # 433918: 26 1/4 x 17 1/4 x 1 3/8 = 622 cu. in.

goto: Rock Auto
RockAuto Parts Catalog

then type "CU951" in the part number search

they have the Spectre 1 1/4" thick alum radiator for an iroc, an extra 1/4" over the other f-body radiators. this one specifically is like $180 from advance auto, Rock Auto sells it for $93.79!!! i got this one and it is great! hth

oh and if you live near Maryland, you will have it in about 2 days after the order!

You have another option which isn't talked about much
That is a Radiator from a 1987 Monte Carlo V8 with 4BB HO
Part number from AutoZone 438162 it's a 3 row copper could be Al
With tranny cooler $128.00 plus tax Advance Auto was $100 more ( I also use a external cooler too)
Be careful they don't sell you 433162 it's a 1 row
Sometimes they use the 433162 for both, just open the box before you leave the store.
This is a match for our GN but no oil cooler ( I use a remote oil filter system)
I installed one last week with Ramcharger fans along with
Cotton's front mount:D
So far it hasn't got above 167F

F Body radiator really keeps things cool, its a great choice!
keeping the tranny cool is essential to the life of the transmission so add the external cooler for sure.
What I may have done is overkill but I ran the oil through the radiator cooler, (all you need is the adaptor) then through to the external cooler to keep the temp down. (figured twice is nice)
The oil runs on its own cooler.

I am in the midst of this swap myself, and a friend did it with great results. The radiator was 91 bucks @ Autozone, the tranny cooler in it will in fact work for a mild street car, but any boost launching or anything other than a stock D5 converter and I am told an external trans cooler is a necessity. Old school hot rodding here.

The oil cooler can easly be eliminated, and there are 2 distinct camps on this one, like always. I am going to error on the side of keeping the oil as cool as possible, so i am using a B&M oil cooler mounted underneath the inner fender, just below the battery as a friend did. Just have your local Aeroquip shop fab up some lines for you. Add a 12v box fan wired to the main electric fan and it will keep things nice and cool.

We were out knockin the snot out of his car the other night, and it never went above 170; all this on a healthy combo with a T-60 and a 2800 stall converter.

HTH

i've seen all aluminum rads. for a v8 buick on ebay for about $170 plus shipping, also the same as the monte carlo mentioned above

goto: Rock Auto
RockAuto Parts Catalog

then type "CU951" in the part number search

they have the Spectre 1 1/4" thick alum radiator for an iroc, an extra 1/4" over the other f-body radiators. this one specifically is like $180 from advance auto, Rock Auto sells it for $93.79!!! i got this one and it is great! hth

oh and if you live near Maryland, you will have it in about 2 days after the order!

awesome I just ordered one for $109...next project. Now, how do I get the fan to come on earlier, it doesn't turn on until about 210-215? thanks, great thread great info!!!!!

awesome I just ordered one for $109...next project. Now, how do I get the fan to come on earlier, it doesn't turn on until about 210-215? thanks, great thread great info!!!!!

cool:cool: sounds like ur lo speed fan is not turning on but high speed is when it hits 210. i assume u have a aftermarket chip with the 60lbers.

I bought my Auto Zone # 433918 in 04, worked great..This week, I was changing out my steering box and it hit the radiator causing a leak..I called Auto Zone to see if they had a replacement before I went to the radiator shop..They said they had one and mine was still under warrenty...I went by the repair shop and they wanted $65.00 to fix it..I left there and went to Auto Zone and they gave me one free, no questions asked and no receipt..Its all on computer....
Why buy one from anywhere else ?

You have another option which isn't talked about much
That is a Radiator from a 1987 Monte Carlo V8 with 4BB HO
Part number from AutoZone 438162 it's a 3 row copper could be Al
With tranny cooler $128.00 plus tax Advance Auto was $100 more ( I also use a external cooler too)
Be careful they don't sell you 433162 it's a 1 row
Sometimes they use the 433162 for both, just open the box before you leave the store.
This is a match for our GN but no oil cooler ( I use a remote oil filter system)
I installed one last week with Ramcharger fans along with
Cotton's front mount:D
So far it hasn't got above 167F

This is the same one I used it looks stock and cools quite sufficently. I used an Fbody one and didnt like the flimsy construction.