Extra spring in pan - non governor

counterman

Guys, I pulled the pan on my trans today searching for a thrown governor spring. I found a spring in the pan, but the governor spring is still in place. It is a light spring about 2 inches long that compresses down to about 1/2 half inch. It is maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. I have found no other items in the pan. This is a recent rebuild from my local "guru" that has had trouble since I got it back. It shifts only at very high rpm, and I have to lift to get that to happen. Once it is up in the gears, it downshifts without provocation. When coming to a stop, it will hold 2nd gear unless I pull it into 1st manually. I over revved the motor once already and popped a head gasket because of this foolishness. It downshifted at wot and sent the motor to the fuel cut off. It backfired when it relit, popping the gasket. The pan was otherwise clean of debris and extra parts except for some minor fiber and clutch material. I am figuring that the spring is from the valve body. Most likely the tv limit spring or the 3-2 control spring? Maybe a pin backed out some and let the spring loose. I haven't pulled the valve body yet. Thoughts please. Thanks, Counterman.

could it be the spring that goes on the tv cable lever. it slides on a t looking pin on the lever?

Jimski, I thought about that, too. I haven't been able to return to the car this afternoon to look. However, I have a photo of that spring in a Haynes overhaul manual, and my spring appears to be lighter and more loosely wound. I will investigate when I have a chance, though. Counterman.

Chris, this is a 56k mile original BRF unit that is numbers matching to the car. Have you seen 2 springs on some of these, too? Thanks, Counterman.

Chris, this is a 56k mile original BRF unit that is numbers matching to the car. Have you seen 2 springs on some of these, too? Thanks, Counterman.

Yup ,mine had 2 springs but. Half inch wide compressed that is kinda big for governer spring compressed i would think so.Thats why i thought that tv lever spring it is tightly wound and would match that exact size compressed

Jimski, I just ran out to the shed. My lever spring is present and accounted for. I remeasured the spring in question. It is just shy of 2 inches uncompressed, and right under the half inch mark compressed. Maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. It has 30 strands of wire w
indings in the 2 inches. The wire is very light, a little heavier than what you'd find in an ink pen, for instance. Thanks, Counterman.

Ah Ha! It was identified as a TV valve blow off spring in another post a few months back. It goes on the TV linkage. Is this what you were talking about, Jimski? More so, what does it do to shift quality? Thanks, Counterman.

Jimski, I just ran out to the shed. My lever spring is present and accounted for. I remeasured the spring in question. It is just shy of 2 inches uncompressed, and right under the half inch mark compressed. Maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. It has 30 strands of wire w
indings in the 2 inches. The wire is very light, a little heavier than what you'd find in an ink pen, for instance. Thanks, Counterman.

Ah Ha! It was identified as a TV valve blow off spring in another post a few months back. It goes on the TV linkage. Is this what you were talking about, Jimski? More so, what does it do to shift quality? Thanks, Counterman.
Yeah, it goes on the linkage and it slides onto a t like pin

Id pull the VB and post some pics of the codes. The spring and retainer can be omitted if you leave the ball check out of the corresponding location in the case. If you have second starts id suspect line pressure over 90 psi at minimum TV. You will have to give us more info like the boost valve sizes and the VB code of the VB. Ive seen them switched out before. That part of the linkage is to protect the trans if the TV cable fails. It can be defeated if the ball is left out though.

Thanks for the help, guys. I may not pull this thing down any further. I was hoping for an easy fix in the governor spring. This unit was a great performing stocker with 56k on it that just started flaring on the 2-3 shift. Against my better judgement, I bought a billet input shaft, etc. etc. from some of the vendors here, but let my local tranny guy do a bench rebuild on it instead of shipping it out. Presto! Nothing but problems ever since. I am not interested in having the local guy go back over this thing, which is good, because he ain't interested in that either! I am going to either pull it out and ship the tranny out for a proper autopsy, or I will truck the whole car to a credible shop. I live down in South Louisiana, and the nearest shop that I know of is Mike Kurtz over in Houston. That's 6 hours away if I send the whole car. The unit is a numbers matching piece, so I want to fix this one rather than just ordering up a bullet from somewhere. I appreciate the help. Thanks, Counterman.