External Oil Pumps.

Don, considering that this is the protype TA block, I could not be more pleased!:biggrin:

Initially we made some changes that were incorporated into the production block. I have had NO issues with it.

Based upon my stack of time slips, I have over 400 total runs with the TA block.:cool:

Cool down between rounds is great, I imagine that with alcohol you have a hard time just getting to operating temp.:eek:

It's not that bad really. To keep oil contamination down at idle and light throttle, I use a relatively lean mixture. The lean mixture keeps the engine at a temp a little cooler than with gas, but with enough idle time it can get over 210 where I would turn the fan on and it cools down real fast. I like to leave the line at around 160.

Decel? Didn't even think about it 'cause I haven't gone that fast yet...;)

scott wile

Oh, you lie!

Decel is where most problems are encountered with wetsump in drag racing. From an oil control perspective, that is the biggest headache for a person modifying the pan. Decel is what killed my friends R/M BBC.

With the accumulator, what's the failure rate like with those? I talked to one fella at the track that was using one and he was telling me about a previous engine that he lost because the accumulator piston stuck. He's still using an accumulator with the new engine.

The performance level that my friends R/M BBC got in trouble with was 5.2xs in the 1/8 mile @ around 132 mph. Not too positive on the mph. Our track doesn't have a cushy shut down distance so the fast guys have to get on the parachute and brakes right away and hard. If your trans doesn't allow you to kick into neutral after the finish and your oil slams to the front of the engine on a hard decel, not a good thing. My friend is using a powerglide that allows him to slap into neutral, but sometimes he didn't get it into neutral right away. He's pretty busy at the finish.

I have an experiment for you wetsump guys. Take your oil pan and fill it with a fluid to the level that you would normally use on the engine. Make sure all your traps and gadgets are installed. Now figure out a way to simulate the G forces you would see during your most severe braking possibility and observe what the fluid does. Have you ever seen an ocean wave hit a wall of rocks at the shore line? Oil control is much harder than you realize. On R/Ms site they give you an angle that you can hold your pan at to simulate the forces of decel.

Well, aside from a few bruised egos. I think this has been a very informative thread so far. I think, if each of us are honest with ourselves, we've all learned a little something here ( I certainly have) and that's what makes this board so great. ;) :)

You gotta admit, Donnie sure got our grey matter out of mothballs :biggrin:

In the meantime cheeseburger, I hope you get your pump back sometime soon;)

George

My intentions are never to bruise anyone's ego. I do my best to get people to think outside the norm. If that causes me to be labeled as arrogant, I can live with that. My mission is not to show how much more I may know than others, but to pass on knowledge that I've learned myself through trial and error and/or research. When the subject involves safety, the finger just gets pushed into the eye socket a little harder than normal. Sorry.

I would much rather be labeled arrogant and see my efforts cause people to think, than sit back and watch people make potentially expensive or fatal choices.

And please don't think I know everything. I don't. Far from it. I learn just as much from my interactions as I pass on to others.

I'm glad to see my efforts may have made a difference though. Thanks George.

My intentions are never to bruise anyone's ego. I do my best to get people to think outside the norm. If that causes me to be labeled as arrogant, I can live with that. My mission is not to show how much more I may know than others, but to pass on knowledge that I've learned myself through trial and error and/or research. When the subject involves safety, the finger just gets pushed into the eye socket a little harder than normal. Sorry.

I would much rather be labeled arrogant and see my efforts cause people to think, than sit back and watch people make potentially expensive or fatal choices.

And please don't think I know everything. I don't. Far from it. I learn just as much from my interactions as I pass on to others.

I'm glad to see my efforts may have made a difference though. Thanks George.

You're most welcome Donnie, I enjoy very much reading the threads that you participate in. Thinking outside the box is good. Records are set by those who do ! We all have lots to learn ! There is so much knowledge and talent on this board.:smile:

George

If that causes me to be labeled as arrogant, I can live with that. .

Arrogant?

For those of you who only know Don through this board, take it from me: he's the one of the nicest, most stand-up guys you'll ever meet.