Extender chip still acting weird...

99Formula

I posted this a few months ago, but it's still happening... it's kinda driving me crazy. My extender chip will not hold the values I input into it. For instance, I'll put in a 2 in cell 12 for lean cruise and next time I shut the car off, then turn the car to on, the value will be at 8 or 10. It's kind of annoying because every now and again I'll start the car and launch assist will be turned on.
Any ideas what's happening here? I've had the electrics gone over with a fine tooth comb and haven't found anything there. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

Make sure the orange wire has a good connection at the ECM. That is KAM power.

Also, since the extenders set there options via setting codes, are you sure your car isnt setting another code (an actual fault) and causing the extender to toggle certain features?

Jim,
The orange wire definitely has a good connection. As far as setting codes, my extender has fast update enabled for my Scanmaster, so I don't see my malfunction codes. But, I can drive around for a day with a regular Ramchargers 93 octane chip which will show me the codes and never set one. However, the extender chip will change its settings every time I start the car. It's driving me crazy because the car runs so great on this chip I hate to get rid of it.

Peter

Why would you get rid of it? Write to Bob and ask him his thoughts. Work together to come to the solution. I dont know his workload, so I cant say how quickly he'd get back to you, but his email is nospambob@bailey-eng.com just remove the nospam part and see if he can help you get to the bottom of this.

Yea, I mean if we can't figure out what the problem is. I'm not ready to toss it in the garbage by any stretch of the imagination, but at some point I'd like to know what the car is going to be doing when I get in it. ;) Thanks for the contact info.

Peter

hello........

keep track of exactly what the number changes from/to...

I agree with Jim, you have a code setting that is changing the value in that cell. Are any other adjustment cells changing?

Only cell 12 is controlled by trouble codes...

I may be removing the trouble code stuff in a future version since I have added the throttle controlled programming method...(what do you think)

Email me back.

Bob
(good call Jim!, ya seen Rev. F lately, my latest stuff.)

Bob,
Thanks for the advice. I'll keep track of how the codes are changing and let you know. It seems most commonly to be going from 0 to 8 or 2 to 10. I'm just going to keep setting it to 0 and see where it ends up next time I start the car and get back with you in a week or so.
It seems odd though that I'd only be getting a trouble code with this chip.

Peter

Naw, I have seen it before.....

If it's going from 0 to 8, or 2 to 10 then it's the "8" bit which is controlled by the EPROM error.

Try (gently) retensioning the fingers in your eprom socket. (I use a dental pick, but a small safety pin works fine)

Bob

Bob,
Thanks, I will definitely give that a try. But just out of curiosity, wouldn't I also be getting a quick flash on the check engine light with the eprom error?

Peter

Bob,
I did what you suggested and everything looks good so far. I stopped and started the car about 10 times, went for several drives throughout the day, and cell 12 is holding firm at 2. Thanks for the help, and I'll let you know if it starts freaking out again. :)

Jim,
Thanks for your help as well, it's much appreciated.

Peter