? EXTENDER chip OK to run with Stock MAF sensor? YES OR NO

TURBO E38

I am in an argument with Vader about whether or not STOCK maf sensor will work with the Extender chip WITH OUT TRANSLATOR?

I SAY NO, HE SAYS YES, WHO IS RIGHT?

TURBO BOB? you in there?

REGARDS< TURBO E38

Wow I didnt even know I was in an "argument".
Before anyone respond, I suggest anyone who wants to respond, go try it. Plug in the stock MAF, pull the orange power wire, plug it back in, re-program to your happy settings and see what happens. You may need a little tweaking, but it does work. I tried it 3 years back and it worked, much to my surprise. Several months back, I sold my translator and stuck the stock MAF back on. It ran ok, until the MAF burned out. I bought a new one, and its been fine since. Every reading on the scanmaster is beautiful. No problems. It actually runs much better than the LS1 MAF and translator ever worked.
When you figure that the translator only converts the LS1 signal to something our computer understands, and the extender cuts the MAF signal in half (it cuts resolution in half in order to double the range, yet re-interprets the data to resemble a standard MAF curve)...you realize the 2 arent intertwined. You can run 1 system without the other. You can run the translator and Ls1 MAF, with the stock chip...right?
The translator doesnt cut the signal in half. The extender does. The translator only converts the new style electronic signal into the old style signal. The extender does something completely different.
The LS1 MAF does flow more air, and the extender takes advantage of that. BUT, its not a requirement to run one with the other.
Or my car is just a freak from the twilight zone.

Ya, like vader says, the stock maf can be run with the extender chip. And as he pointed out the Translator is designed to "translate" the LS1 signal, so IOW the translator will not run the stock maf.

My point is though, why run the extender with a stock maf? Sure, you gain the advantage of the extended range. But by not being able to run the translator, you cant take full advantage of the tuning abilities of the translator.

A regular extender will run ok with the stock MAF, but don't go WOT or you will be lean.

The Extreme, Pro, and Gen-2 chips will not run with the stock MAF.

I havent had any problems with running lean at WOT. In fact I have to pull 4% fuel out of low gear and 6% out of spool fuel, and I have to run 32psi static fuel pressure. Really low, but after 3 years of tuning, thats where my car is happiest all around. Ive always had to, even with the ls1 maf and the translator. My BLM's and BLM offset on the extender (to get BLM's right), didnt change 1 bit when I switched to the stock maf and extender.
I usually had to run 4% rich WOT with the ls1 maf and translator. The extender gives me all the fuel tuning range I need. The translator can add some more range, but I really had no need for it. Every other aspect of drivability and power...all the same with the stock maf and extender when compared to the ls1 maf and translator.
My point is though, why run the extender with a stock maf
Because I can. :biggrin:
Seriously, I can tune just as easily and have extended range, and have less clutter under my hood. There are plenty of people running 10's with a stock MAF, so why bother? If you need the extra tuning range that you would get by using a translator and ls1 maf, then I guess thats one way to get it. But if you have plenty of range with just the extender, then why not?