Exhusting Opinions

79 Ghost

ive asked 5 buddies about exhaust and got 5 diferent opinions about what makes the best power. "you need backpressure" "you dont need backpressure" "This sounds good" "that sounds bad".... whats right for my 79? I heard that the best muffler was no muffler so, Right now i have 4 feet or so of 2.25" pipe behind the stock downpipe, Dumping before the rearend. I liked it when i first got it because you can hella hear the turbo, the wastegate etc. But its loud when im not going fast (under 20 mph) It sounds like a boat. I like how the boost comes up faster, but it dosnt make as much boost at the top end. Will a glasspack cure my low end noise?, do i NEED a muffler?, If i go over the rearend will it be quiet? Please Help. I want to hear the turbo without all the racket.

ive asked 5 buddies about exhaust and got 5 diferent opinions about what makes the best power. "you need backpressure" "you dont need backpressure" "This sounds good" "that sounds bad".... whats right for my 79? I heard that the best muffler was no muffler so, Right now i have 4 feet or so of 2.25" pipe behind the stock downpipe, Dumping before the rearend. I liked it when i first got it because you can hella hear the turbo, the wastegate etc. But its loud when im not going fast (under 20 mph) It sounds like a boat. I like how the boost comes up faster, but it dosnt make as much boost at the top end. Will a glasspack cure my low end noise?, do i NEED a muffler?, If i go over the rearend will it be quiet? Please Help. I want to hear the turbo without all the racket.

I ran mine with no muffler just down pipe on and it was badass,but really noisy

You don't need a muffler but most of the time the law requires it. If you extend the pipe over the axle and out it will quiet it some. Don't use a glasspak, it's very restrictive and won't help you. Go do a search for Pypes system. Seems like the best for the cost. It's stainless as well so rust isn't an issue.

I hope this can relate. I have an '81 Cadillac with a '70 472 in it. It had 2.5" pipes from the manifolds to the front of the rear wheels. I have 40 series flowmasters with an h pipe and that's all. I couldn't stand how loud it was. It was great to hammer it next to some ahole in an import, but overall kind of annoying. I recently got the whole exhaust redone with 2.5" to the mufflers and 2.25" up over the rear and straight out the back. It's like a hybrid now on the inside compared to what it was. Unbelievable difference with just some pipe to direct the sound back. They say it's still loud from behind, but no one has driven it for me to hear yet. As for power, I can't tell the difference. In my case a little pipe made a massive difference. I think it's because where it used to dump was right under the door, and my ear.

Don't use a flowbastard either. Very restrictive as well. Work on a NA car ok but not on a turbo.

The flomaster is made for na engines and the exhaust pulses they make, But on turbo cars those pulses get gobbled up by turning the turbo, after the turbo those pulses are pretty well ballanced out. I need help with the noise made before the turbo spools up. why do you say the glasspack dont flow? i checked out Pypes, I like the M-Pro but hows it any diffrent from a deep pack Glassie?

the race pro from pypes also looks good, has anyone used it on a turbo? What do you think of SuperTrapp?

I had stock single exhaust on my 79 with no muffler and still had the cat on it. Sounded good outside the car and quiet inside. I think if you just run it out to the back you will be alot happier with it. If I was gonna go with any muffler it would be a dynomax ultraflow

I just have a 2 ft pipe off the down pipe to get behind the trans exhaust mount with a restricionmaster and a 5" down turn off the back of the muffler. Hangs too low and probably is pretty restricting but sounds pretty good.

I won't have time today to find the link but it's on the board. It has muffler flow tests and it showns the best ones for a turbo. I posted it in another thread as well in the last week if you want to try and find it. The fins in the glasspac are the problem and that's where the restrictions comes from.

im currently in the process of installing a stock 87 gn exhaust on my 79, unsure what the result will be, went with a stock muffler because I dont like to give the cops ANY excuse to pull me over, :rolleyes:

I wasn't in any way suggesting blowmasters, just making the point of how different my car sounds with just that extra pipe over the rear. I know absolutely nothing about turbos. What's NA an abbreviation for?

About the original post. Back in my drawthru days, I always ran rhe stock DP with the 4 hole cat flange on the end of it. Then stepping up to a 3" pipe from there under the trans x member into the driveshaft tunnel then originally no muffler then over the axle and following the framerail to it's exits under but flush with the bumper. Then later for the muffler. I researched everything and found the best for turbos#1 sound#2 and quality for #3. In my research and opinion, DNA race series mufflers are the best and ideal having a design to benefit the turbo, plus they sounds great. And secondly a TURBO muffler (duh). Magnaflows turbo mufflers. Thirdly is a Cherrybomb wing plate racing muffler. Open pipe A#1 or a cut out with a GOOD muffler is best after that. Now I run on my blowthru setup: my own 3"DP that ends just after the bellhousing on the trans, then right behind that is a 3" cutout and then a very relaxed s bend into the driveshaft tunnel back to the diff yoke. then starts my muffler. The above mufflers are kinda spendy for my anyways. So in my research I found the best muffler for the cheap. and it wasn't a turbo muffler. It was an oval 2 chamber racing muffler made by SUMMIT brand. Not designed like a flowmaster or an Ilco. the chambers are designed to work with a flow inlet from either side of the muffler like a turbo muffler but this one has chambers, it's 3" in/out., then over the axle to following the frame rail to the second bend or Z if you will, then straight to the exit where the bottom edge of the quarter panel and wheel opening moulding meet.

na is short for naturaly aspirated, which is a fancy term for not being charged. Thanks for all the help guys.

he he he he he he he :redface:

my flow master sounds and runs great. feels better than the open pipe.

:biggrin: A.j.

im currently in the process of installing a stock 87 gn exhaust on my 79, unsure what the result will be, went with a stock muffler because I dont like to give the cops ANY excuse to pull me over, :rolleyes:

Did this mod allready sounds awesome and has good performance.I highly recomend this for other carbed turbo cars

GMHTP reported a 35rwhp gain with the PYPES system over the 87 stock exhaust. And that was with using the stock cat still:eek:

I highly recommend the stock 87 exhaust as well, I love it, sounds pretty ba too.:cool: were those numbers for a stock 87 or a carb turbo car?

3" straight-thru magnaflow is the best you can get for performance. If you want a quiet muffler youll have to look at other options.