Exhaust System Recommendations?

TriShield

Buick Turbo Elitist Pr|ck
Looking for a good true dual exhaust system for my 1987 GN, I also need a good set of exhaust headers to go with it since my driver's side header developed a nice big crack (and they are both an ugly rust color).

I'm looking for a better performing exhuast/header system that is no louder than the stock system.

Any recommendations?

IMHO, I would order a set of Poston replacement hedders and crossover. They are a good fit and replacement for the stock hedder. I originally installed my factory crossover pipe, but it leaked, so I ordered their crossover. As for a dual exhaust, I just brought a picture of the GNX exhaust system to my local muffler shop and had it built. Many guys go with the hooker system, ATR system or order from vendors listed in gnttype.org or one of the vendors on this board. Hope this helps

There is no such thing as a true dual system for these cars. Everything has to run through the turbo/DP. The Hooker system and most perf systems are 2.5" with dual mufflers. The stocker is 2.25" with a single muffler.

So what is the quietest exhaust?

If there is no true dual setup, is there any advantage to changing the exhaust system if it is stock?

hey the exhaust change make s a big diff .iwent with the terry h 2.75 exhaust . of course i also changed the turbo and down pipe ,at the same time made a big diff.RR

A free flowing exaust (straight through muffler) will help the turbo spool faster.

Yes, big differences..
The factory exhaust has one muffler. Its a crossflow and does not flow well. The aftermarkets (except fot the Dynomax and flowmaster) all have seperate mufflers and flow much better then a crossflow single muffler.. Go with the Hooker. Its the best bet for the $$ spent..

Originally posted by TriShield
So what is the quietest exhaust?

If there is no true dual setup, is there any advantage to changing the exhaust system if it is stock?

ATR 2.5 stainless

I still had the stock exhaust on my GN this spring. It was rusting out along the seams very badly and had a ton of small holes and carbon on the outside.

I went with the ATR 2.5 stainless system so I never have to replace the exhaust again.

In my opinion, the ATR is quieter at idle than the stock muffler was and has a MUCH deeper tone to. Very nice. I have said this before but I have a sound clip of my car with the ATR's if anyone wants it.

As for the freeway...the ATR system is louder than the stock when cruising but it is that, dare I say it, Mustang sort of sound....not a beater..just a throaty rumble when cruising.

Renthorin

Send me an e-mail with the sound clip so I can get an idea what it sounds like, thanks!

Dannyo

As Frank said, the hooker catback is the best bang for your buck. It is a fairly quiet but good flowing exhaust and install's easily.

atr

I'm with Renthorin I went with 2.5 atr system ss also ss headers and dp it's so quiet nice for those sleeper's plus it's a piece of art. :D

Re: atr

Originally posted by spining 6
I'm with Renthorin I went with 2.5 atr system ss also ss headers and dp it's so quiet nice for those sleeper's plus it's a piece of art. :D

Yeah, but you guys got BIG BUCKS !!! :D

Can someone send me a pic of the Hooker Catback...2.5 ijust bought it and i want to see what i bought lol....and maybe if someone has the time and stuff a sound clip of it would be AWESOME thanks....send it to phazin@gwi.net thanks or just let me know where its located wherei can view/hear it...Thanks
Sleeper87

You can't go wrong with Poston's headers and the Hooker cat back with Aerochamber mufflers. I have installed both and they fit great.

ATR

I agree...ATR makes some beautiful & very efficient super high-quality exhaust components! :)

I just got the Hooker 2.5" system. I like how it looks on the floor in my garage.:D Do I need to get it welded in, or can I just use the clamps?

I have installed several of the Hooker systems and I use the stainless band clamps. These clamps will not crimp the pipe so if you ever want to take the exhaust off you can. I use a 1/4" spot weld on each side of the mufflers and exhaust pipe to hold them and then install the bands. The small welds can be ground off with a die grinder easly if you need to remove the system. If you want to use the clamps that come with the system, they will work fine but will crimp the pipe.

Whatever you get, make sure it's stainless steel.

Stainless steel: accept no substitute.

Everyone seems to be recommending the Hooker or ATR. Do either of these companies make a system that sounds a little meaner than stock, or only quiet systems. I'm not looking for something a little more agressive sounding than the stock system, especially at idle.

Tommy