exhaust question

j-6

I got a question about uncapping my exhaust the one time I ran it on the street with the exhaust open it felt so much stronger is a lot of people running open exhaust these days :confused::confused::confused::confused:

I replaced my downpipe with a coated stock one, and cut the rest of the exhaust system off!
Car feels stronger, I can hear the turbo whistle, and it is kinda loud, obnoxious, and lots of drone!
But, I plan on leaving it this way for a while, I like it loud and obnoxious, and even though she is not a looker, she gets noticed!:biggrin:

Well if course it feels stronger, there's all that backpressure that has been removed. It's a good way to lean the car out too, if you're not able to tune or adjust for it. That's why many "dyno tunes" are done with the dump open or closed, depending on how you plan to run it.

Indeed. Try blowing air out through your mouth and then try doing it through a straw. :) You have just simulated restrictive exhaust.

Just installed an RJC 3" DP and for sh*ts n giggles, I fired it up without the exhaust connected. It was LOUD! I was actually shocked at how loud it was, as I've heard/read in the past that the TR's were fairly quite after the turbo.....the turbo acting like a muff so to say. Not hear, I would never attempt to drive the car on the street like that.......I'd get pulled in a second.

Thanks I didnt know it would lean your car out I was thinking about uncapping mine soon