Exhaust Question

edmonds27

Hey guys,

My son and I just finished rebuilding his 85GN. It currently has the cat converter, and then straight exhaust back to the rear axle bend where it loops around the axle and exits behind the right rear tire (no muffler). We'd prefer to have a little more stealth, but we do not want to replace the whole system out right now. We're thinking about removing the cat and replacing it with a muffler. Does anyone see a problem with doing this? Any recommendations on what to replace it with? I personally have never heard a HA car with the factory exhaust, but we really like the factory sound of the IC cars so that would be our preferred end result.

These cars are surprisingly quiet without mufflers or cats. (until you put your foot in it)

I would forgo the muffler that close to the turbo and go ahead and put it in the stock location and then straight pipe it where the cat is.

Just FYI: So I go down to the local muffler shop to see if they can tell me what the original exhaust looked like. He pulls out a book and it shows a Y pipe from the cat running one pipe down each side and over the axle and then into a DI/DO muffler turned parallel to the rear end which sends one tail pipe out each side. So I ask how much to install this monstrosity and they shoot me $400. Okay, not a great price, but still not bad I guess? Anyway we're in the middle of restoration here, so I don't really want to drop $400 on an exhaust when I don't even have door panels in the car. So, I go down to OReilly's and purchase a FlowTech Raptor mini turbo muffler for $24. Turns out the cat was gutted by a previous owner so I left that in place and installed the Raptor just in front of the rear axle. I have to admit I was pretty skeptical about a $24 muffler and it's not exactly like the factory setup but it really sounds good! If your looking for a great sounding exhaust for a bargain price this setup is WELL worth the money IMO.

For 400$ I would get pypes or hooker system, I got hooker but at the time i didn't know about pypes so I would advise pypes. As for your 24$ muffler, it's not about price when it comes to mufflers, it's about how they are built/made. Your choice was a good one, turbo muffler on the cheap.

Hooker Headers 16810HKR - Hooker Super Competition Cat-Back Exhaust Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Pypes Performance Exhaust SGG50S - Pypes Street Pro Exhaust Systems - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Also i paid 100 (lost all the clamps,hangers ) to mount and have them install clamps and hangers etc so 500 total for me. working on a bigger Downpipe with 38mm external.