Exhaust leak - time for headers?

lyonsd

Well, the ticking I've been hearing since Friday night isn't due to the rockers. It's an exhaust leak - sounds like from the driver's side. I suspect a cracked header.

Now I have a philosophy that goes like this: whenever a stock part breaks, UPGRADE it.

So maybe it's time to buy a nice, new, shiny set of stainless steel headers.

I've been on this board for a long time. And I've never seen anybody recommend aftermarket headers. The story goes that people are running 10s with the stockers.

Sure, I can weld the stock header(s), assuming that it's cracked. But they'll probably crack again. When I had them off for my motor rebuild, I can see that they've already been welded.

My mods: GN1 stroker, ported Champion iron heads, 206 cam, Precision intake plenum, and STOCK turbo/intercooler.

This motor breathes much better than stock. And at some point, the headers will become a restriction. My next planned upgrade will be the turbo and torque converter.

What say you - aftermarket headers or not? I'd like to just fork out the dough for them now, and be done with it. Instead of paying to fix the stockers, and then buy new headers later when I upgrade the turbo.

Either $700 TA headers or weld up the stockers with gussets. I have the latter. Unless you run 9s, the stockers will hold any flow you throw at them.

I have a driver side TA on my GN both cars have TA crossovers and both have stock passangerside manifolds. If you have the money buy the TA headers and be done with it. I haven't had any success with one piece crossovers so at the least get the Dr side and the crossover.

i welded up mine mine my self cut the flanges betteween the ports got stainless headers gasquets and turbo gasquets and for cross over pipe i filled flanges up with coopers silicone gasquet if they crack again just pull em off and weld em again you can do that about 7 times before if equals those ta headers and your not to my knowledge going to gaine much sieng the stockers make low 10s putting headers with larger pipe will actualy slow down your spool up because of the less pressure and lack of heat caused by it

hello; speaking of headers my order for stock replacment TA headers has been in since Nov. 2011. Unless there balls to the wall in work I don't get it. I'm lucky it's not a rush.
I'd like to here how the new owner of the GSCA headers work out. I thought about them and the feed back I got on them made me forget about it.
Also I have a 1 pc. 2.5" crossover pipe I'm going to get installed just to see what happens. If it doesn't work out I'll go the the 2 pc that comes with the TA's.
IBBY

i ran the stockers for years,just pulling them off when needed.then i went with the ta stainless and i dont miss the stockers one bit.save your self the aggrivation and buy the ta.

I have a driver side TA on my GN both cars have TA crossovers and both have stock passangerside manifolds. If you have the money buy the TA headers and be done with it. I haven't had any success with one piece crossovers so at the least get the Dr side and the crossover.

I also have just the drivers side TA header, but with a stock x-over...How much for just a TA x-over???

hello; speaking of headers my order for stock replacment TA headers has been in since Nov. 2011. Unless there balls to the wall in work I don't get it. I'm lucky it's not a rush.
I'd like to here how the new owner of the GSCA headers work out. I thought about them and the feed back I got on them made me forget about it.
Also I have a 1 pc. 2.5" crossover pipe I'm going to get installed just to see what happens. If it doesn't work out I'll go the the 2 pc that comes with the TA's.
IBBY
I've been waiting for a few months on my Stock TA headers also. those guys better get their asses in gear! lol

the gn1 headers with turbo and external waistgate and external dump strikes my interest has any one used this kit yet cuz for 1600 and some change that sound like a sweet upgrade specialy if all i would need is a chip reburn and larger injectors

Opinions on GN1 headers, please?

GN1: $599 stainless steel
TA: $750 mild steel

Unless the GN1 headers will slow me down, or break, or not work with a TH downpipe, it seems like a no-brainer.