Exhaust housing questions

pwr6kid

I have a te-61 turbo on my car now; the gentleman I got the turbo from had the waist gate ported. The puck doesn’t seal, didn’t matter to him, he has an external dp. My question is, are the 61 and 44 exhaust wheels the same the 61 is a .85 and the 44 is a .63. Both turbos are precision units. If they cant be I'll be calling RJC for there plate.
Thank you
Rich F.

Hello Rich.
Honestly, it depends on what turbine wheel your PT61 has, as there were 4 turbine wheel options on the PT61 turbo. Each turbine housing is machined to match the contour of the turbine wheel blades and they are not interchangeable between wheels.

Meaning, if your turbo is a 6152, which has a T-350 Stage 5 turbine wheel, the turbine housing from a TE44 won't work because the turbine wheels are different. The TE44 uses a T-31 Stage 3 turbine wheel.
However, if your PT61 is a 6131, it would have the same T-31 Stage 3 turbine wheel and would be interchangeable. You need to get the part number off of the turbine housing to help properly ID which turbine wheel you have on your PT61. Or, you could look for the engraved part number on the compressor cover to help ID it.

In this example picture, you can see the general location where we machine the turbine housing part number into the downpipe surface.

70GTQ8.jpg

In this picture, you can see where we engrave the actual part number into the compressor cover discharge. Typically where the intercooler hose slips onto the compressor cover discharge is where they will engrave the part numbers.

fixed6076E.jpg

Once you know what turbine wheel your PT61 has, you'll know if the housings are interchangeable or not.

If the PT61 turbine housing part number is THB5-31 and the TE44 turbine housing part number is THB3-31, then yes, they are swappable. But, if your PT61 turbine housing part number is different, then they are not. We sell the Buick turbine housings outright, but I just need to know what you have. The other option would be to get the plate from RJC and drill it to match your downpipe's puck.
Let us know.

Patrick

Thank you for the info. I checked my 61 lastnight and it has thb5-80 like in the first photo. On a side note I see in your sig that your a percision sales rep can you pm me a price on a .63 ar exhaust housing?
Thank you
Rich F

So what you're saying is that your 61 turbo has the exact part number as the picture shown? (THB5-80) Reason I ask is, we've never produced a PT61 turbo that had a GTQ turbine wheel, it would not work with the T3/T4 bearing system as it was a T4 compatible only turbine wheel.

The PT61 turbos that we have produced in the past, would have these turbine housings.

6131 would have either a THB3-31 .63 A/R or a THB5-31 .85 A/R.

6152 would have either a THB3-52 .63 A/R or a THB5-52 .85 A/R.

6169 would have either a THB3-69 .63 A/R or a THB5-69 .85 A/R.

6176 would have either a THB3-76 .63 A/R or a THB5-76 .85 A/R.

All of these turbos would come standard with a .63 A/R Buick 3-bolt housing.
It is very important to verify the last two numbers on your turbine housing part number, because this dictates what turbine wheel the housing is machined for. Just for further clarification reasons, here is a run down for everyone, with regards to this specific turbo.

Last two numbers on turbine housing part number:
These were available on the PT61 series turbos.

31 = T-31 "Stage 3" turbine wheel (Inducer 2.559" Exducer 2.228")
52 = T-350 "Stage 5" turbine wheel (Inducer 2.759" Exducer 2.437")
69 = TO4 69 turbine wheel (Inducer 2.920" Exducer 2.420")
76 = P-trim turbine wheel (Inducer 2.920" Exducer 2.542")

And here is the last turbine wheel we made for our Buick 3-bolt style turbine housings. The GTQ turbine wheel. This wheel was only available on Cast 67, 70, 72, 74, 76mm turbos and 1st Gen Billet 71.

80 = GTQ turbine wheel (circa 2001 - 2006 Inducer 3.110" Exducer 2.695")

You can see why those last two numbers are so crutial when purchasing a replacement turbine housing, as the housings are machined to exact tollerances to the corresponding turbine wheel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And for those of you who might be wondering about our current line up.
Here you go. These are available in our Buick 3-bolt turbine housing equipped turbochargers.This info was taken directly from our 2010 catalog:

57 = HP57 turbine wheel (Inducer 2.555" Exducer 2.227")
62 = HP62 turbine wheel (Inducer 2.795" Exducer 2.437")
65 = HP65 turbine wheel (Inducer 2.920" Exducer 2.542")
68 = HP68 turbine wheel (Inducer 3.111" Exducer 2.693")

I'll send you a PM about your turbine housing pricing and availability questions.
Hope this helps.

Patrick