Exhaust: GN1 v.s. RJC, pros and cons?

they do work really well I find the system fits best if you install it from the back to the front. That way the downpipe does not throw it off front to back, you may need to adjust the test pipe or muffler insertion to bolt it all together but you will have a better fit that way

I just installed the GN1, replaced a Hooker Cat-Back. The GN1 seems to hang lower (which I may be able to raise a little) and I had to cut the passenger side tailpipe an inch where it meets the muffler to keep it from hitting the front if the axle.

I'm more torn now. It seems like the vote is split on gn1 and rjc. How do the old stainless ATR dual setups compare with the pit bull mufflers? We're they a bolt up system as well? I thought about trying to find one of those but would prefer something new.

Here's a low mileage, real ATR dual 3" system with pitbull straight through mufflers(who else still has the original stickers intact and attached to both mufflers), that I had to remove when I went to a 3.5" aluminum driveshaft. My muffler shop said the fit was awesome and the easiest complete kit he had ever installed on any car. ATR positioned the hangers perfectly on the system for ease of fit. Don't worry too much about the age of ATR systems, they're built out of T304 stainless to last. This system is over a decade old and had been sitting in my friend's storage up until recently. If you look closely, you won't see a single speck of rust anywhere on it. Hopefully, you now see the importance in the choice of steel used to construct the system. That's why I said no T409 stainless or mild steel, they rust. As far as drone, never heard it. And I was extremely surprised how quiet it was for a dual 3" system at idle and cruise. WOT though, it screamed. Mandrel bent, 99.6% flow, and E.T.s approached .01-.02 of an open exhaust. Good luck trying to find one. Also, look for a mandrel bent system. Regular bending causes kinks that'll shrink your pipe and restrict flow efficiency.

If anyone is in NorCal and wants the biggest and absolute baddest system for their TR, pm me. No dents or dings, damn near in brand new condition. Not interested in shipping since UPS freight wanted to charge me $1,120 to ship that pallet as it sits from CA-MA. I guess they're now using armored trucks for delivery. Who knew?

Attachments

• 1442450639128.jpg
    1442450639128.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
So, your comments finally led up to a" Hey, y'all wanna what I have for sale" promo?

Cool.

(y)

GN1 is great - if there is drone I would call it mild.

I have drone on my other vehicle with a stillen exhaust. It makes me drive 65 or 75. 70mph will annoy the sh*t out of you.

So if there is drone on the gn-1 I must be tone deaf.

I had a custom exhaust made at a local fab shop and there no drone so i disagree with ur "The only way to go approach is 3 mufflers".

The ONLY system that completely eliminates drone is by using the three muffler system. I have said this so many times I am tired of saying it. If anyone thinks any other system (with out a cat) thinks they don't have any drone..................your hearing is worse than mine!!!! (And I have been driving rivets in airplanes for over 35 years). I wish one of the vendors would step up and offer this system. Two Walker Ultra Flow mufflers under the back seat, and a cross flow Ultra Flow behind the rear end. We have spent many thousands of dollars testing just about every type of muffler there is, and NOTHING came close to performance and drone elimination as the three muffler system. (Thanks to Dennis Hogan being the most stubborn guy I know about exhaust drone.). His car runs 9.92@136+ on pump gas and alcohol and is church mouse quiet. If you hate drone..........have a three muffler system built. No one who has built one is sorry. Not cheap though. I wish Pypes, RJC, GN1, or someone else would offer it. We spent the SERIOUS time and capitol to build it..........use it.........please! The Turbo Buick community needs your help. I will be happy to help in any way I can. I don't have the energy to mass market this.

Of my 3 cars the Magnaflow has the least amount of drone compared to the Atr, and Pypes w/race pro mufflers, but not many people want to pony up 8 bills for one...Part # 16884 ..so over a grand for a 3 muffler system would be worse unless you have the coin..

Last edited:
Of my 3 cars the Magnaflow has the least amount of drone compared to the Atr, and Pypes w/race pro mufflers, but not many people want to pony up 8 bills for one...Part # 16884 ..so over a grand for a 3 muffler system would worse unless you have the coin..

is that a 2.5" or 3" system?
the link says 3" tubing with 2.5" tips and summit calls it a 2.5 inch system.

is that a 2.5" or 3" system?
the link says 3" tubing with 2.5" tips and summit calls it a 2.5 inch system.
The whole system is 2.5", I never had the option for a 3" about 7 years ago through Jack Cotton, maybe nowadays they offer a 3"..

Yes! A three muffler system is a lot of money, and hard to find a fabricator willing to do it. I think a single cross flow would work really well, too. It is the opposing exhaust pulses inside the cross flow that cancel drone. It would be louder just using a single muffler, though. I have built one system like that.
I was amazed at how quiet a three muffler system was the first time I heard it. Made one 3" version that ran 9.10@149. Put an exhaust cut out on it at the end of the 3.5" down pipe and it only picked up 6 HP on the dyno.
Wish you all could go for a ride in Dennis' car, though. Quiet, to say the least. (At cruise)