Exhaust: GN1 v.s. RJC, pros and cons?

josh young

I've read several threads on the 2 different exhausts, the rjc and the gn1. From my understanding the rjc is a little quiter than the gn1 exhaust. I've read in one thread where a member had the rjc setup, and seen no difference with the dump open or closed. I personally like the high polished look of the gn1 setup, but does it flow as good as the rjc? Both are similarly priced so the price difference wont keep me from one or the other. I'm looking for something that's wont drone you out while cruising, it's got a flowmaster setup on there now that does way too much of that. Really leaning towards the gn1, just wondering if it flows as free as the rjc does. Also I've replaced the old down pipe with a 2 piece Kirban's kit, didn't wan't to butcher up my gnx shield. I assume others have used these exhausts with the kirbans downpipe before without issues? I'm going to order a test pipe with the exhaust, they appear to have enough length to make it work with my down pipe. Any opinions are greatly valued guys.

I'm looking for something that's wont drone you out while cruising
there are a lot of threads on this,but what I have noticed is there are so many parts that play a roll in the tone,motor combo,headers, ex housing size, converter,ex size and mufflers.swapping out the flowmasters would be my 1st adjustment.

I have the 3" GN1 set up. Changed to it from a Pypes 2.5 set up. I have a TH style 3" in down pipe that I bought from Nick Macale.

I love it. I liked the Pypes set up, too, but this is better.

Installation is a challenge, no doubt. Your results may vary......... :D

Attachments

• BUICK 3 INCH EXHAUST.jpg
    BUICK 3 INCH EXHAUST.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 515
  • 3 INCH EXHAUST 2.jpg
    3 INCH EXHAUST 2.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 454
  • 3 INCH EXHUAST 5.jpg
    3 INCH EXHUAST 5.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 433
  • 3 INCH EXHAUST 3.jpg
    3 INCH EXHAUST 3.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 503
  • 3 INCH EXHUAST 4.jpg
    3 INCH EXHUAST 4.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 578
I have the 3" GN1 set up. Changed to it from a Pypes 2.5 set up. I have a TH style 3" in down pipe that I bought from Nick Macale.

Have the same as TGuy, and he as always,is right in his post

Why is the installation a challenge?

The ONLY system that completely eliminates drone is by using the three muffler system. I have said this so many times I am tired of saying it. If anyone thinks any other system (with out a cat) thinks they don't have any drone..................your hearing is worse than mine!!!! (And I have been driving rivets in airplanes for over 35 years). I wish one of the vendors would step up and offer this system. Two Walker Ultra Flow mufflers under the back seat, and a cross flow Ultra Flow behind the rear end. We have spent many thousands of dollars testing just about every type of muffler there is, and NOTHING came close to performance and drone elimination as the three muffler system. (Thanks to Dennis Hogan being the most stubborn guy I know about exhaust drone.). His car runs 9.92@136+ on pump gas and alcohol and is church mouse quiet. If you hate drone..........have a three muffler system built. No one who has built one is sorry. Not cheap though. I wish Pypes, RJC, GN1, or someone else would offer it. We spent the SERIOUS time and capitol to build it..........use it.........please! The Turbo Buick community needs your help. I will be happy to help in any way I can. I don't have the energy to mass market this.

The ONLY system that completely eliminates drone is by using the three muffler system. I have said this so many times I am tired of saying it. If anyone thinks any other system (with out a cat) thinks they don't have any drone..................your hearing is worse than mine!!!! (And I have been driving rivets in airplanes for over 35 years). I wish one of the vendors would step up and offer this system. Two Walker Ultra Flow mufflers under the back seat, and a cross flow Ultra Flow behind the rear end. We have spent many thousands of dollars testing just about every type of muffler there is, and NOTHING came close to performance and drone elimination as the three muffler system. (Thanks to Dennis Hogan being the most stubborn guy I know about exhaust drone.). His car runs 9.92@136+ on pump gas and alcohol and is church mouse quiet. If you hate drone..........have a three muffler system built. No one who has built one is sorry. Not cheap though. I wish Pypes, RJC, GN1, or someone else would offer it. We spent the SERIOUS time and capitol to build it..........use it.........please! The Turbo Buick community needs your help. I will be happy to help in any way I can. I don't have the energy to mass market this.
The three muffler system is great. But it is NOT the only way to get rid of drone. I did mine with a Dynomax VT feeding into a Dynomax Ultra Flo.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/whisper-quiet-exhaust.387399/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know where the drone thing comes from on the GN1 system?? Mine has been on the cars for years and no drone at all? Can't wait to finish the UNREALX project I am working on which will have the same system. Guess it all depends on your combo. Yes, I am a bit biased as I am a dealer for the GN1 system but wouldn't run it on my own car if I didn't like it. And installing any exhaust is usually a pain in the ass if you don't have a lift. Using the optional band clamps makes it a lot easier.

I had an ATR dual 2.5 and changed over to the RJC cross flow system. Also have GN1 headers. Drone is still there just not as bad. Sounds like an ATR single shot, quality is good, and no ugly mufflers hanging under the car and scraping on everything. Installation was extremely challenging as all of the hangers had to be cut off and repositioned. No personal experience with the GN1 system but haven't heard good things from friends who have had it.

When it was first installed:
DSC02286.JPG

Why is the installation a challenge?

I didn't install it myself, I had my builder, L0u Czarnota do it.

He said it was kind of a bugger to get everything right. Lou is a very particular guy, and as you should see by the pictures, it was a beautiful install, IMO.

It might just be a case of Lou wanting it to fit a certain way , making it a "challenge" for him.

As I said initially, your results may vary..........:woot:

Drone? Never her of her........... does she sing like Pink or Madonna or something? :D

Last edited:
"Lost my hearing in 1972"....."My car sounds great".........OK. Mine doesn't bother me unless I'm driving for 2+ hours. Best solution for drone, crank up the tunes.

"Lost my hearing in 1972"....."My car sounds great".........OK. Mine doesn't bother me unless I'm driving for 2+ hours. Best solution for drone, crank up the tunes.

The best part is you can drive her for 2/4/8+ hours comfortably......

There are a lot of folks out there that seriously doubt that we can even do that. Just one more thing to love about these little powerhouses........

I'm also thinking you have an "aftermarket" sound system............:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

RJC "Made in USA," expect for his 5" downpipe(which he is transparent about). He sources from some local company to maintain his quality control. Plus, he claims "no drone" on a wide array of his T304 stainless exhaust systems. GN1? Search the forum and you will find complaint after complaint about their headers, downpipes, integrated valve covers, welds, etc. Whatever you choose, get it in T304. It'll likely outlast your car. Stay away from T409 stainless and mild steel, as these will rust over time.

By the way, not one to talk, but high polish, chrome, etc won't make you go any faster...but it'll get you laid! :D

Last edited:
The best part is you can drive her for 2/4/8+ hours comfortably......

There are a lot of folks out there that seriously doubt that we can even do that. Just one more thing to love about these little powerhouses........

I'm also thinking you have an "aftermarket" sound system............:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:
Actually I have a "stock" sound system :rolleyes:. After that long of a drive either system can wear on some but for me I have lower back pain and can't drive that long without stopping to walk around. If I had a limited with comfy leather or pillow bench seat that might be different.

Actually I have a "stock" sound system :rolleyes:. After that long of a drive either system can wear on some but for me I have lower back pain and can't drive that long without stopping to walk around. If I had a limited with comfy leather or pillow bench seat that might be different.
Agree, driving position in any Gbody is way worse then a little drone..:yuck:

I don't think we could produce a 3 muffler system at a price many would be willing to pay. My best guess is that is would have to sell for around $1000 when it was all said and done with quality mufflers and stainless pipes. Most of the pipes will require hand fabrication I believe and the labor is a killer

I have the gn1 and love it. Didn't notice any real drone. I had no problem bolting it up w some jackstands. I stopped after muffler. It was a little bit of a pain but its not on a lift. It actually sounds bad ass w no tails but crap load drone. Lol I'm not a huge fan of their products and actually try to avoid them as a dealer but the system just flat works. I'd get it again