EXCHANGE CALIPER???

Boxcars

Banned
I replaced my LS1 brakes with Corvette 14" brakes, new rotors, new Hawk pads, and rebuilt calipers. I didn't feel as though my car was stopping as well with the larger brakes, and I noticed that, 450 miles in, that part of the rotor surface on the driver side was not making full contact with the new Hawk shoes which you can see in the photos below. I even made marks with a magic marker and drove the car 100 miles last night and the marks are still there. I can exchange the reconditioned caliper for another, no problem, but also I feel that in a few more miles the shoes will wear in. So, is it worth the bother or replacing the caliper or not? That's my question. What's your opinion? :confused:

I replaced my LS1 brakes with Corvette 14" brakes, new rotors, new Hawk pads, and rebuilt calipers. I didn't feel as though my car was stopping as well with the larger brakes, and I noticed that, 450 miles in, that part of the rotor surface on the driver side was not making full contact with the new Hawk shoes which you can see in the photos below. I even made marks with a magic marker and drove the car 100 miles last night and the marks are still there. I can exchange the reconditioned caliper for another, no problem, but also I feel that in a few more miles the shoes will wear in. So, is it worth the bother or replacing the caliper or not? That's my question. What's your opinion? :confused:

If the other side is not doing this and you're sure it's the caliper, exchange it. Pad wear isn't going to be significant with so few miles on the brakes.

If the other side is not doing this and you're sure it's the caliper, exchange it. Pad wear isn't going to be significant with so few miles on the brakes.

Well, yes, I must suspect the caliper because the rotors and pads are new. The pads will wear in whether I change out the caliper or not so I'm still undecided. I marked the inside of the rotor with a black marker to see if there's any problem on the inside. The thing is, I have time to decide and that's why I'm asking for opinions. Thanks for yours! :)

I was hoping there would be more comments but I suppose this problem is not common. In fact, one could have this problem and never know it and over time the shoes would wear in. It was more readily observed in my case with the bigger rotors and an open wheel that made the rotor easy to observe. The inside of the rotor is wearing across it evenly, so I decided it's not really a problem and soon enough the Hawk pads will wear in.