excessive wear on inside of tires

11secondgs

Hi -

Last year I had installed on my car a set of upper and lower spohn upper and lower A arms and qa1 shocks.

It is a great upgrade etc....

I had the guy who is very capable align the car and set the toe, camber, caster, canter.....

Anyways. I have since put on about 1500 miles. and today I noticed excessive wear on the inside of both front tires.

I will have the guy correct it, but I would like to know why that is going on from you guys. I will also add that when I replaced the a arms, we replaced the drag link, all bushings and ball joints etc.... the front end is virtually brand new.

I should also add that I get a ton of bump steer on bad roads.

I welcome your thoughts on how to fix it.

Well two things here:

1. using the stock spindles doesnt help with your bump steer issues, one fix would be to add Howes tall lower ball joints, these will lower the car 7/8" so you will have to adjust the Qa1's. The QA1's will actually magnify your bump steer issues if you dont use the Howes ball joints. Same with people who use drop spindles.

2. As the QA1's break in some, they will settle moving the top of the tire inward, causing wear on the inside of the tire. After installing new springs or coil overs, it's always best to get the car re-aligned after 1000 miles or so.

Savitske Classic & Custom
This is a link to the tall lower ball joints.

I would do these over the tall ATS spindles because of cost. I'm not a huge fan of coil overs either. There is so much stress at the joint where the coil over meets the lower control arm. Are your lower only able to be ran with coil overs?

I bought the spohn qa1 kit. My understanding is you have to run the qa1's only.

So now I am a bit confused? Do I get the taller ball joint or do I get new spindles or do I get both?

You dont need to buy spindles. If you can live with the bump steer you could simply just go get the car aligned. But if you want to correct the bump steer, get a set of tall lower ball joints. I would also be sure those Spohns have the same mount for the ball joints as the stockers do. I'm pretty sure they do though. You could ask Marcus at Savitske Classic & Custom if they are the same. He can also give you a few other ideas to help you out. I personally would go back to stock lower control arms and springs but thats just me. Give Marcus a call, he's a nice guy to chat with and he'll set you in the right direction!