Eventually new shocks looking for some opinions

BlackoutDrunk

Spring Loaded Idiot
My car has a completely stock suspension and I'm going to put some new shocks on soon. I wanted to get some opinions. I'm not sure how much info you guys need but here goes....

My car is a weekend warrior/garage queen. I only put about 3000 miles a year on the car. I have never been to the track but I might go eventually. I kind of like the ride quality of the stock stuff but don't know if I can have my cake and eat it too. I would lean towards something that could contribute to the launch if I had to choose. I currently have stock GN rims but will be moving to the Kirban style GNX rims down the line and I will be running a drag radial out back.

thanks in advance and let me know if more info is needed.

Bilstein stock replacements. I have had them on other vehicles and they are superior! I am getting ready to put them on the GN as well. Have heard nothing but good things about them, both on these cars and others.

Bilsteins if you want more control and a stiff ride. Monroe sensa track for a factory ride. Some will say Bilsteins are to stiff.

Hands down for the money KYB. Bilsteins are firmer but you are gonna pay more.

QA1 or AFCO if you want to have ext adjustable and money isnt a issue.

Great info guys. Anyone else? So far I'm looking at Bilstein's and KYB. Anyone else have some personal experience? I won't mind stiffening up the ride a bit but I guess where I'm getting caught up is going to the 16x8 rims. I know those will change my current ride quality because the tires side wall will be a bit shorter.

I don't want to put new rims and new shocks on the car and find the ride too stiff. Any opinions or am I just over thinking this?

If you have the money to spend, go with Bilstein. I've had them on my GN for about 7 years now and theyre great. I have stock replacement Delco's on the WE4 and they're ok too, just not as firm as the Bilsteins.

shocks

I have had KYB's on the car, but the bottoms rotted out of the rear shocks in a year or two(RI winters). I now have the Bilstein shock on all four, and they are really good. Glad i spent the extra $$ for the Bilstein product. Plus I don't drive the car in the bad weather any more.

Dave
87 GN

I wanted Bilsteins too, but I got a great deal on a low-mile used set of KYB's off the board, installed them, and I was very pleased right from the get go!

The ride is not too firm, and my car handles very predictably and controlled. The shocks that they replaced made my car handle like the Queen Mary! A literal night and day difference....

For what it's worth!

John

P.S. I installed the shocks before I installed my H&R rear bar. I was running the replica ATR bar from Full Throttle at the time.