Estimated Value of Car

jshilli1

I found a car I am somewhat interested in-

47k miles, 87 T-top GN

Vin #1G4GJ1178HP435621

Carfax says salvage title, it was totalled in '88. The car was totalled in Missouri.

The car needs paint, assuming drivetrain is as advertised and interior is good, everything works, etc, what would be a good estimate of value of this car with a salvage title?

I,m new at the TR,s ....but any car with a salvage title means you are gambling with your money. I have bought many mustangs in the past, and had great luck with the 1st 1 but after that I got the shaft. One had a bent frame but a mint interior...I reccomend taking it for a beat run then too a good grease monkey, then if it checks out buy it. :D
Bryan

When I was looking at a salvage title car, I was told by the owner of the body shop I go to that whatever the value is of the car figure 50% is what you would get back. He said he has bought some very clean cars from insurance companies and fixed them up but he has always lost money. I decided to stay away from salvage title cars after he told me that. Don't know how everyone else feels though.

Ken

I would only buy one if it was checked out by a good mechanic and if I was planning to keep the car for awhile. Its not always easy to sell a salvage title.

If its a car I looked at in BA its very rough around the edges , If its the same car I would value it at around 3500.00
Mark

RE:

The guy is asking $7,500 for it.

Basically, I live in the area and have noticed the car several times. I basically just thought oh what the hell I'll see if its for sale or if they would consider selling it, since it is rough around the edges as Mark says. It just sits in the front yard, I've never seen it on the street, and on closer inspection I remember seeing it in a local parking lot for sale- I looked at that time and it was $7,500 as well. I didn't have $7,500 then, I do now.

Thanks Mark, I was thinking about that price. Have you ever made an offer on the car? I figure he got ripped off on it thinking it was a 47k original car- the main issue is the salvage title kills the resale. I wonder if the rocker "tweak" is from the wreck that totalled it ?

If the car was totaled in 88 then the value of the car was almost 10,000 dollars at the time, so the damage was extensive, I'd find an undamaged car. Water leaks and rust in body seams is common on salvage cars.

Re: RE:

Originally posted by jshilli1
The guy is asking $7,500 for it.

Basically, I live in the area and have noticed the car several times. I basically just thought oh what the hell I'll see if its for sale or if they would consider selling it, since it is rough around the edges as Mark says. It just sits in the front yard, I've never seen it on the street, and on closer inspection I remember seeing it in a local parking lot for sale- I looked at that time and it was $7,500 as well. I didn't have $7,500 then, I do now.

Thanks Mark, I was thinking about that price. Have you ever made an offer on the car? I figure he got ripped off on it thinking it was a 47k original car- the main issue is the salvage title kills the resale. I wonder if the rocker "tweak" is from the wreck that totalled it ?

The owner called me one day to help him with some tuning and info ,he was new to GN's , the eng and trans seemed ok.However the body was rough and I am doubtful the milage is correct original miles ,I know he paid alot for the car but it needs way to WAY to much work .I was not looking to buy it at all
Mark