Error 42

Ok I've read a bunch of threads here on them and found some links to the vortex page with the troubleshooting guides and read through them this last weekend I had a fuel pressure issue motor died while driving turns out the plastic plug on the fuel pump jump wire or bypass wire was gone and the metal tab was grounding the system and I blew a fuse yadda yadda but in the process of discovering this issue some tips I was given or found lead me to pull my ecm in search of the issue but once it was fixed after a day I got this error code 42 which has to do with something about the ignition coil or wiring to it so I follow trouble shooting step one was clear the code via cutting power to ecm...done...reconnect power start car...done...after that code was gone hasn't come back.......now you might be saying well that's a good thing...well I guess I'm just asking why I got the code in the first place if everything was good?

My guess would be one or more of your connectors when you pulled the ECM. (ECM connector, chip seating or calpac seating)
How did the ECM connector look when you pulled it?

Looking at this post: http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/b...intermittant-error-code-42-bad-est-ideas.html

Typical causes for this code include:

1) BYPASS line is open or grounded
2) EST line is open or grounded
3) PROM or CALPACK not seated properly in the ECM
4) Poor connections between ignition module and ECM
5) Poor routing of EST harness and/or poor quality ignition wires (EMI induced electrical noise)
6) Faulty or incorrect ignition module
7) Faulty ECM

My guess would be one or more of your connectors when you pulled the ECM. (ECM connector, chip seating or calpac seating)
How did the ECM connector look when you pulled it?

Looking at this post: http://www.turbobuicks.com/forums/b...intermittant-error-code-42-bad-est-ideas.html

Typical causes for this code include:

1) BYPASS line is open or grounded
2) EST line is open or grounded
3) PROM or CALPACK not seated properly in the ECM
4) Poor connections between ignition module and ECM
5) Poor routing of EST harness and/or poor quality ignition wires (EMI induced electrical noise)
6) Faulty or incorrect ignition module
7) Faulty ECM
the plugs looked good, the only thing i didnt do was go through the wires mainly because it didnt come back i did however when i pulled the ecm i checked the my turbotune chip to see if it was bad or unseated i cleaned the connectors with a pencil eraser and re seated it firmly and carefully but i dont think thats the issue but i dont know thats why im asking to see if i can avoid this from happening again

Make sure you check the 2 ground wire bundles on the back of the
passenger side cylinder head. The MAF, spark control and several
other componenets ground through the 2 connectors on the back of the head.

I have seen weird codes and intermittent issues due to these 2 ground
bundles being comprimised in some way.

Lots of possibilities as to what it could be. If it were my car, I would only worry about it if becomes repeatable and a problem.