ER Brake problem

#1HotRod

Some time ago when I released the ER pedal, the brake light stayed on (& the pedal seemed to come up higher than normal, not sure?). Not a big deal, just makes one little nervous/check pedal when driving, but otherwise all well. Just few days ago when released e-brake, the brake released but the handle came loose. I can push/pull it & it doesn't seems to connect to anything. I then afraid to engage e-brake in case it stays down (seems loose handle would not release it?).
1. Are two events related? Brake light staying on, & now loose handle...doesn't seem would be.
2. Is there some catch in footwell that can be reconnected for the e-brake handle? How to fix it?
3. Once handle fixed, how to fix the brake light staying on?

At least the car still looks & runs fine, now at 90k miles. Thanks folks.

Dunno, is that what causes lever to be loose? I'll go under & check. If not broken...what then?
What about the light, what causes it to stay on?
Thanks.

i would get under there with a light and check it out, sounds like cable is broken and maybe brake isnt completely released that would be why the light is still on.

Okay, thanks.
Me USAF also (VN vet), wish was retired. Your build looks cool, good stuff. Must be a great driver, passes smog? any track time... what it run?

haha, not together yet still working on it. hope its a goot driving car got alot of $$ in suspension and brakes. wont pas smog its my old race motor no egr fully ported heads and intake. in my old car mid 11's wirt alky.

Well...they'e kinda slow & not as much fun to drive 'till put together; I do wish had your parts though. Smogging is biggest issue I havn't modified mine. Very recently got a '70 hotrod running again (3rd engine build), I don't think I would not be able to deal with all the complications of the '87.
Cable not broke, the little pin at end of brake release handle had come out of the brake release thingy behind footwell, kinda easy fix. But brake light stays on, think I'll post on National board see if someone can point me to a fix (come to think of it, I believe a constant-on brake light will fail smog). Thanks, have fun down there.

The E Brake pedal assembly has a pin switch on it that illuminates the light when the pedal is depressed. Often when a cable freezes or breaks there is not enough spring tension to pull the released pedal up all the way to open the pin switch. Pull the e brake release and Pull up on the pedal simultaneously to see if the light goes out. if it doesn't, either the switch has a problem/interference or you have another brake issue unrelated to the E- brake- my guess is if you still have the original Powermaster brake system its probably in need of attention - a very common problem in the TR's.

yup could be the swith. i have my ebrake pedal assembly out of the car now and it wouldnt releas i had to cleen out the old grease and dirt now releases fine. i'll take a pic and post later.

Think it's more complicated than that, the pedal comes up very fast when pull the release lever. With footwell cover off the spring mechanism looks clean (no hard grease, rust, etc.) & foot pedal lever comes up far enough to bottom out where I think that bumper thingy goes, but...I'll see if can pull up pedal even further & see if light goes out. There must be one of those pin style switches hidden somewhere in that footwell mechanism that is sticking in shut (light on) position. Hay Instro84, do you see any such switch in your out-of-car assembly? Thanks

yes there is a switch on the park brake assembly. should be 1 wire going to it.
IMG_0441.JPG

Good man Instro, I'll dig around & see how I can fix it. The side I see (in car with footwell cover removed) has a tightly sprung coil spring at that fulcrum where foot pedal pivots, so I think in your pic we're seeing the other side that faces outward (toward body of car), which will make getting to the switch difficult. There's very little room there with one's upper torso crammed under dash (oh what fun!). But at least I know it's there & can pry contact over little to make light go off. I also see/confirm there is a rubber bumper stop, I'll zip tie sumthin there. It's cool you took time for pic, thanks for your helping effort.
PS, it's so damn hot here lately, taking GN to shop tomorrow get AC recharged...has the orig everything so the R12 won't be cheap.

the view in my pic faces toward the center of the car. the only spring i see on mine is the small one for the arm the release cable attaches to.

Fixed it! Thanks Instro, it took some contortions but now fixed. That bugger is way up in the corner where firewall meets side panel under insulation & a million wires upper left of fusebox. The switch had pivoted on that small screw out of alignment, now aligned & tightened. Works well now, Yea :happy:.
Keep 'em flying.