engine won't turn on...

tim_dogg

rookie here, sorry if this is has been asked but i didn't see anything similar while searching.

My car's been in my yard, and i've been giving it jumps a couple times a week to get the engine running.

Well yesterday I disconnected the electrical connection on my fuel injector to check the Part # and I removed my chip to find out what kind i was running. When I removed my chip I disconnected the orange wire by the battery and i put it back in the way i found it.

Today when I went to jump my car, i put the key in ignition and the radio came on as normal. Maybe 5 seconds later the radio shut off and hasn't come back on since.

When i turn the key to start the car nothing happens. The only thing I can tell that's happening is the intercooler starts running for a little bit.

Please tell me i didn't do any serious damage :(:(

Please let me know what other info is needed to acess the problem.

EDIT: The car has a kill switch, could that be the culprit?

Last edited:
Probably just a bad connection at the battery. Start by checking your terminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably just a bad connection at the battery. Start by checking your terminals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The connections look fine? Is there a way i should test them?

Screen Shot 2017-11-30 at 9.16.18 AM.png

Either what marcus said, or a bad connection at the battery. You really can't tell how good the conection is by just looking at it. Sometimes they look fine. I would disconnect the battery and thoroughly clean the terminals / connections with some sandpaper or an emery board. That would remove that possibility.

Break out the Multi-Meter, trace your lines & start measuring voltages.

Might start with the most simple item. How old is the battery? Will it hold a charge?

Break out the Multi-Meter, trace your lines & start measuring voltages.

Might start with the most simple item. How old is the battery? Will it hold a charge?

The battery is about two years old and doesn’t hold a charge haha.

Can you reccomend a decent multi meter for me?

Either what marcus said, or a bad connection at the battery. You really can't tell how good the conection is by just looking at it. Sometimes they look fine. I would disconnect the battery and thoroughly clean the terminals / connections with some sandpaper or an emery board. That would remove that possibility.

Got it, I’ll do that!

Thank you guys!

EDIT: I'm still getting power to my digital dash so would it still be a possible battery issue? or maybe a blown fuse?

would I be able to use this noid light? or does this one look too cheap? https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...al-tester/oem-8-pcs-noid-light-set/948078_0_0

Last edited:
That + cable end is not the correct end.
The orange wire can have issues. Looks like part of it has been replaced, and the other part looks like it's seen it's better days.
I/we use Fluke meters in the shop. Not cheap, but will last. Mine has been flawless for over 30 yrs.

"The battery is about two years old and doesn’t hold a charge haha." Why are you worrying about testing, if the batt is toast? Did you have it load tested?

That + cable end is not the correct end.
The orange wire can have issues. Looks like part of it has been replaced, and the other part looks like it's seen it's better days.
I/we use Fluke meters in the shop. Not cheap, but will last. Mine has been flawless for over 30 yrs.

"The battery is about two years old and doesn’t hold a charge haha." Why are you worrying about testing, if the batt is toast? Did you have it load tested?

So with my + cable end not being correct it could possibly lead to battery issues?
Can you point me in the direction of a correct one that I can replace it with?

I see haha, Fluke seems a bit pricey though but if its worth it then it sounds good.

The battery has been load tested and is on its way out, so i've been jumping the car to get it running.

The reason why I didnt think it was the battery was because the car has always started with a jump until recently when i checked what kind of chip I was running, that made me think that I must have done something.

But it could just be that the battery is completely toast now.

I will report back with a new battery.

Jumping these cars is really not a good thing to do on a regular basis. Once in a while if necessary, is ok. All the time can lead to other issues! Had a buddy that did that a lot. It seemed like we were always chasing electrical issues on his car!!:mad::rolleyes:

Check ebay and type in the search area "buick grand national battery cable" as several did pop up or check Kirbans and Highway Stars.

The battery is about two years old and doesn’t hold a charge haha.

When you see that happening with the battery you need to replace it right away. This car needs a good electrical system working 100% all the time for it to perform at its best.

Can you reccomend a decent multi meter for me?

I just bought one last week off of ebay. I paid $8.98 with free shipping, i received it in 4 days from California to Ohio. I just intend to use it for personal use mostly on the car. It came ready to use out of the box with a battery installed.All i had to do was remove the plastic wrapping, insert the test leads,turn the dial to the setting for volts to check my battery in my runabout. It looks well made and the reading was spot on.The brand name is Volmate part number VOL880 and comes with a 1 year warranty. I'm sure this multimeter will meet your needs for basic use.

If you are in business and need the top of the line multimeter than the Fluke would be my choice. But not everyone needs that.

Got it, I’ll do that!

Thank you guys!

EDIT: I'm still getting power to my digital dash so would it still be a possible battery issue? or maybe a blown fuse?

would I be able to use this noid light? or does this one look too cheap? https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...al-tester/oem-8-pcs-noid-light-set/948078_0_0