Engine will not turn over

Bobtempest

Staff member
The starter will not spin the engine. Starter is new and good. Checked the fusable links okay, but not getting power to solenoid.
Vat system checked out okay on the switch. Neutral safety switch okay. What else could it be? I am trying to help a friend but I am stumped. It has other problems but we have got to get the starter to spin over first. No fuel pressure with the key on either. HELP

Did you remove the driver's side kick panel and examine the Vats relay? It is behind the driver's kick panel. You may have to remove a piece of black sealant that covers the hole where the relay is. On the relay there are yellow and purple heavy gauge wires. The purple wire goes to the starter. Verify that you have 12v on that wire when cranking. If not, jumper the heavy yellow to heavy purple. This will bypass the Vats untill you figure out the problem.

Not trying to be smart or over simplify, but are you sure the solenoid wire is to the correct post? I've made that mistake before and not got it to the engine side terminal.

LMFAO
Glad I am not the only one that made that stupid mistake, even took the starter out and brought it to the auto parts store just to notice he hooked up the other terminal. Felt like a real dumba$$. Nice to know it happens to the best of us!!!

Check the ground to the fuel pump and the hotwire relay (if hotwired). If the relay isn't mounted with the mounting tab being grounded good, it will not activate. Trust me on this one, a sheetmetal screw won't cut it forever, it can't hold enough torque to keep a good ground, you need a screw and nut to keep it tight.

the same thing has happened to me maybe 6 times in the 4years that I've had the car. Its not the starter, vats, solenoid etc. it was a real mystery. It happens like very 6-or 8 months. you turn the key and -NOTHING, like if you try to start the car with the shifter in drive. Its in the shop now being looked over.
Dave

the same thing has happened to me maybe 6 times in the 4years that I've had the car. Its not the starter, vats, solenoid etc. it was a real mystery. It happens like very 6-or 8 months. you turn the key and -NOTHING, like if you try to start the car with the shifter in drive.
It wasn't by chance hot outside each time this happened was it? Because mine would do the exact same thing. If I let it cool off for about 15-30 minutes it would start. That is caused by GM using too small of a wire going to the solenoid. When exposed to extreme heat the solenoid gets too warm and binds. When this happens it takes more current to move the plunger. I had this happen numerous times (during the summer) and finally fixed it for good by adding a 10g wire right along side the factory wire. I was able to add the new wire inside the factory wire loom so it is undetectable. This only happens on TTA's because the passenger header runs way too close to the starter(and solenoid). If this is your problem don't bother throwing money on labor or new parts at it, because it won't help. Adding the wire WILL fix it 100%.

winter, spring, summer doesn't matter.

I will use that tip-what is there to lose.
:)

Dave

Hi,
I tried the 10guage wire trick and thought mine was fixed till it wouldn't start one day at walmart.
I added a ford solenoid, using the 10 guage wire I added to the existing purple wire and I ran it to the "s" terminal on the ford solenoid.
I ran a 10g hot wire from the positive battery cable where it attaches to the starter to the ford solenoid and then another 10g wire from the ford solenoid to the "s" terminal on the starters solenoid.
It has started every time now since last June or so.
here is a link to where I mounted it
www.geocities.com/jwicmandy
Later,
James