Engine swap

I can get a core from my buddy lunch box for roughly 100 bucks. or I bet I could get you a free one if you feel like driving all the way to Whidbey Island, and into Oak Harbor. I know where a buddy has some cores hidden in a small shed behind his house.

A.j.

wow aj your a good man. i wish you had some buddies in IL lol. see 83turbo there are options out there.

well I wouldnt say a "good" man... oh lord knows I gots my faults.... but.... I have gotten around the block a time or two and have made alot of friends.

But most importantly, anything we can do to save a carb turbo.... is worth the effort.

A.j.

I got in touch with someone that I know with a 307? sound like a good swap?

No, it sounds like a very bad swap.

If I am reading this right, you want to replace the V6 with a V8 and then rebuild the V6 to put it back in. Make no sense what so ever. Just get another V6 - even a 3.8 non-turbo long block and put that in.

Otherwise, don't swap the engine. Just swap the entire car for a bicycle.

I don't think you're going to get alot of support for putting an olds V8 in an 83 T-type. The 307 was available in regals in 86 and 87 and I've seen a few of the 87 T's (non-turbo T's with a flat hood) with it. I've never had one, but I would assume it would be more costly to work on than a sbc and be less powerful than the carb'd turboV6. The olds 442 with 307HO only had about 180HP and 250lb-ft torque, the 307 "Y" was even less. If you intend it to be a permanent swap, you will no longer own a turbobuick. If you intend it to be temporary, I think you will end up just as frustrated with the swap as you are with the current problems and ultimately end up abandoning the car entirely. Why not sell or trade it and get a monte carlo?

it would be a temporary replacement, but Im going to get another car so no worries while I put the buick in storage.

aj said he had a guy who had a block. rebuild that block and put that in. that would be real easy.

ALL RIGHT... ALL RIGHT.... ill do the NA 3.8 or 4.1 setup. I just want to still be able to drive the car while the motor is being rebuilt.

I wanted to enjoy the turbo 3.8 a few more times before I get it rebuilt, so today i drove the car a bit, and came to a red light with a 1991 honda civic..... you tell me what happened?:eek:;):cool:

so why is your current motor bad? Is it knocking? Have you done a compression check?

no, the motor is tired, rings are probably bad (LOTS of blowby), carb aint tuned right, transmisson aint freeway worthy, timing is off, EVERY SINGLE little thing doesnt work, oil leaks, and needs a distributor pickup. Its still running and beating honda civics.

I hope you're beating honda civics:eek: I'd just worry about getting something else to drive and spend the next year making the car right. Save up some money and pull the engine. You can tear it down and start cleaning parts and painting stuff up while you are saving for machine work and a rebuild. You will be way ahead by getting the top end ready and having the engine bay clean and ready for your fresh motor when you get there. Take your time and don't get ina hurry. Remember, you can't fix them while you drive them. I learned that a long time ago.

I hope you're beating honda civics:eek: I'd just worry about getting something else to drive and spend the next year making the car right. Save up some money and pull the engine. You can tear it down and start cleaning parts and painting stuff up while you are saving for machine work and a rebuild. You will be way ahead by getting the top end ready and having the engine bay clean and ready for your fresh motor when you get there. Take your time and don't get ina hurry. Remember, you can't fix them while you drive them. I learned that a long time ago.

ill take that to heart, I have 600 for kick around in my budget. I got a new job, so Ill save up. I STILL wanna get this SS impala from this dude... and for your information, yes i did beat the civic till a cop car drove by, luckily he didnt turn around:eek::biggrin:

ALL RIGHT... ALL RIGHT.... ill do the NA 3.8 or 4.1 setup. I just want to still be able to drive the car while the motor is being rebuilt.

I wanted to enjoy the turbo 3.8 a few more times before I get it rebuilt, so today i drove the car a bit, and came to a red light with a 1991 honda civic..... you tell me what happened?:eek:;):cool:

i hope you won. i'm glad to hear your staying with the 231. you could alway run the setup like jase(flintbuickforlife). he has the ebrock manifold and ebrock carb. that would help you out alot.

there's a 96 black cherry with grey leather for sale here in my area for 5k. I'm trying to get my dad to buy it:cool: