Engine Stalling??

Hey guys,
Got a '56 Chev with a 327/300hp, MCSS 200-4r trans, and wired up the lock up through the brake switch without the TCI vac. switch in the kit.

This has happened twice and I have an Idea what it might be, but need your opinions.

Both times driving along the expressway and taking the off-ramp, slowly came to a stop to the first traffic light and it stalled. Popped it into neutral and tried a couple of times to re-start, put into drive and it stalls again.

After a few tries, it stays running and it's o.k. again.:confused:

Before it stalls, it "feels" like it's lugging in 4th. Sound like this makes sense??
Engine temp was normal along with everything else.

I'm wondering if it's the TCC switch sticking, or not using the vac. switch with lock up?

Need suggestions, I don't like this when it happens.:eek:

Thanks.

Sounds like it's (the solenoid is sticking) but it should unlock when coming to a stop, when it drops to 1st gear. But sometimes if you have too much line it doesn't go to 1st.
Also if wired correct it should unlock when you brake.
Do you have a manual switch too?

I have a thread here somewhere on how I wired it with no vac. switch.
Apparently there were quite a few that wired it this way without a manual switch with no problems.

Mine is wired through the brake switch. I also wired in a LED to let me know there is power to the trans plug and light goes out when I press on the brakes.

If you think it's a sticking TCC switch, will it free itself up? or would I have to replace with a new TCC.

These switches available through GM? Part number?

Thanks for any help.

I have a thread here somewhere on how I wired it with no vac. switch.
Apparently there were quite a few that wired it this way without a manual switch with no problems.

Mine is wired through the brake switch. I also wired in a LED to let me know there is power to the trans plug and light goes out when I press on the brakes.

If you think it's a sticking TCC switch, will it free itself up? or would I have to replace with a new TCC.

These switches available through GM? Part number?

Thanks for any help.

This is for an 85 or 86 MCSS trans at RockAuto $55 >>Image

The TCC Solenoids without the harness are much cheaper, just cut & splice the wires.>> 2004R Transmission Parts Solenoids Makco Transmission Parts

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'll source out a TCC switch this week.
I'm in Canada, so shipping, brokerage fees, exchange rates, yada, yada, yada.
Easily makes $34.99 U.S. = $124.89 Canadian.:biggrin:

SSedan64, thanks again, you had helped me out with the wiring a while back.

This place is GREAT.