Engine stalling

drdave69

Just finshed: installed new water temp and oil pressure gauges with new senders, new 160 thermostat, removed radiator and intercooler for cleaning and reinstalled them.

Engine starts but did not stay running. Starts right back up but quits again. I start it again and hit the throttle a few times and it stays running. I let it idle to get up to temp and oil pressure is fine according to new gauge. Once up to temp the new thermostat and gauge are in sync at 160 (along with the fan). Go for a test drive and the engine sputters bad when trying to move forward and nearly stalls. It revs fine when parked.

I double checked all of the sensor connections near the front/top of the engine where I was working and all seem to be connected.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated on where to look.

Possible maf sensor going bad, with the car idling lightly tap the maf with a screwdriver and see if the car stumbles or stalls, if it does the maf is going south.

Will do. We are talking about the item installed into the intake hose to the throttle body? Is there any visual inspection that can be done on it?

Will do. We are talking about the item installed into the intake hose to the throttle body? Is there any visual inspection that can be done on it?

Yes, the maf is on the end of the intake hose or pipe, what ever your car has on it, the hose or pipe runs right to the turbo inlet bell. No visual inspection, it can look fine but be going bad internally, give it the tap test like I said above and see what happens.

Found the issue and I feel like a dumbazz. I barely noticed that the intercooler to throttle body pipe elbow was off the intercooler (barely). I must have only put it on top of the ridge instead of over it and it popped loose. Repositioned all of the intake hoses/elbows and everything is working fine again.