"Engine Service Soon" & more

eduardo

G-Body87
Ok folk, so my car (daily driver) has been having some minor issues lately (at least I hope their minor) I've been meaning to get the car looked at just don't have the funds to do so at the moment unfortunately. For starters I've had the exhaust gaskets switched out a while back with some remflex ones, due to an exhaust leak that was giving the car this tick sound, at least thats what was recommended based of the sound of the car at that time. I want to say it did make a difference but the car still has a small ticking sound that just doesn't sound normal. ( I'll upload a video on that as well sometime this week and get further in detail, sorry for the lack of information. I just have so much to say that is going on with this car that I can't really think of how to write all it down without jumping from one thing to the next.) anyway just recently I I've noticed the car has gray smoke blowing out the back end and when I went to get my oil changed a few week ago down at a jiffy lube the tech there came back inside to show me this bolt that he said was literally sitting at the cup end of the filter right on the end of the engine which shocked the both of us. He said it could be a rocker arm bolt. I actually replaced the passenger side valve cover gasket the other day due to me opening it up and searching for where the bolt may have came from, couldn't find it, and bolt didn't seem to match the bolts under there either so kinda ruled that out. I still need to check the driver side and replace the gasket on that as well since I have a new gasket for that valve cover aswell. But to continue from where I left off from the tech finding the bolt he also added that he believes the car is burning raidiator fluid which could be the reason the car is smoking out the back end. Idk. With All that being said, this what's been going on since. (Once again sorry for the lack of information/ additional further details im actually rushing this post, I have work in a few minutes and won't be able to get back on till tonight possibly.!)

possible bad ground connection causing voltage to backfeed into the TPS input. set the scanmaster to tPS and wiggle the wires coming out of the BstC

code 21 is a TPS code, that would seem to make sense...

A bad TPS sensor, or the wiring going to it could cause the same thing.

Bob

possible bad ground connection causing voltage to backfeed into the TPS input. set the scanmaster to tPS and wiggle the wires coming out of the BstC

code 21 is a TPS code, that would seem to make sense...

A bad TPS sensor, or the wiring going to it could cause the same thing.

Bob
Thanks bob I appreciate the input, I'll be honest though, I really have no idea what all that you mentioned is haha :whistle:. I've been trying to get familiar with the scan master and it's codes/definitions but I'm still learning and still having a hard time with everything. I'll see what I can do though and post an update,
Thanks Again

Exhaust tic is most likely the drivers side header cracked in between #3 and #5. Header needs to be removed and crack welded and gussetted to give it more strength. Then just Reinstall without any gaskets just a light smear of orange rtv gasket maker. Some guys run gaskets but the majority of people do just as I recommended.
Buick didn't install any gaskets there on manufacturing.

Got a picture of this bolt? There are 2 bolts holding the oil pump gear case on the inside of the oil cooler adapter plate on the other side as the oil filter. Not sure how'd it get thru the adapter plate though but there are some relief holes.
Pic would identify if it was one of them.

Maybe someone will correct me but your maf reading is 0nly 2 at idle, even when your high idling at 1025 rpm. Mine is closer to 6 at 700 rpm.

And I doubt your rocker shaft bolt would fall out and end up on your oil filter.
Did they add zinc additive during the oil change?

Post a picture of the bolt. I seriously doubt it's a rocker shaft bolt as if it was missing you'd probably have a broken rocker shaft. (in fact, you might have one anyway).

It looks like you have a PowerLogger installed from the tail end of your Scanmaster readings. (they weren't much good to you on that video since the engine wasn't fully warmed up) Look at your passenger kick panel. On the bottom there will be a vent slot. Look very close at that slot close to the front of the car and see if you can find a USB port. If so, grab a laptop, install the free software and we can look at your car MUCH better. When you FIRST turn the key on and the scanmaster powers up, does it read 2.1 or 3.0?

Bob's advice was to set your scanmaster on the 'TPS' (throttle position sensor) readout using the left button. Then wiggle the wires next to your leg at the boost controller and see if the .40 volts reading acts up. Code 21 is 'TPS sensor -high' and that's night right since your reading is in range. It's actually a smidge low.

I can't tell from the low light but is there a box in front of your boost controller that ways ''SMC alcohol'' on it?

Post a picture of your oil filter too. Odds are the 'experts' at Jiffy Lube installed the 'correct' filter instead of the one you actually want.

Here's a write up on scanmaster instructions.... http://turbotweak.com/scanmasterinstructions.pdf

Post a picture of the bolt. I seriously doubt it's a rocker shaft bolt as if it was missing you'd probably have a broken rocker shaft. (in fact, you might have one anyway).

It looks like you have a PowerLogger installed from the tail end of your Scanmaster readings. (they weren't much good to you on that video since the engine wasn't fully warmed up) Look at your passenger kick panel. On the bottom there will be a vent slot. Look very close at that slot close to the front of the car and see if you can find a USB port. If so, grab a laptop, install the free software and we can look at your car MUCH better. When you FIRST turn the key on and the scanmaster powers up, does it read 2.1 or 3.0?

Bob's advice was to set your scanmaster on the 'TPS' (throttle position sensor) readout using the left button. Then wiggle the wires next to your leg at the boost controller and see if the .40 volts reading acts up. Code 21 is 'TPS sensor -high' and that's night right since your reading is in range. It's actually a smidge low.

I can't tell from the low light but is there a box in front of your boost controller that ways ''SMC alcohol'' on it?

Post a picture of your oil filter too. Odds are the 'experts' at Jiffy Lube installed the 'correct' filter instead of the one you actually want.

Here's a write up on scanmaster instructions.... http://turbotweak.com/scanmasterinstructions.pdf
Left the bolt in a friends car the day I went to pick up those new gaskets, he was able to shot me this pic but If needed I'll ask for a better detailed pic ( bolt is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long I'd say)

Attachments

• IMG_2973.JPG
    IMG_2973.JPG
    153.5 KB · Views: 131
And I doubt your rocker shaft bolt would fall out and end up on your oil filter.
Did they add zinc additive during the oil change?
I don't think they did add a zinc additive, what would that have done though?

2.1 scan master

Attachments

• IMG_2974.JPG
    IMG_2974.JPG
    671.4 KB · Views: 130

Wiggled the wires but no affect. As for the power logger I don't think I do, I mean I searched the pasanger side spot where you told me to but found no USB port, or I may just not be looking hard enough. I'll keep looking

Holy hell with wiring. Not to be discouraging, but all that wiring spaghetti makes me cringe. So many opportunities for issues if that wiring for all that stuff was tapped into something wrong or not hooked up correct, etc. If you were close to me I would help. I think you should find someone near to you with some experience to help you through all that.

Holy hell with wiring. Not to be discouraging, but all that wiring spaghetti makes me cringe. So many opportunities for issues if that wiring for all that stuff was tapped into something wrong or not hooked up correct, etc. If you were close to me I would help. I think you should find someone near to you with some experience to help you through all that.
:facepalm: Yea I know it is a mess smh!

When you get a powerlogger, it will come with a new chip to put inside your scanmaster. After that it will read 3.0 on powerup and have MUCH faster updates. Along with the option to display boost, and A/F and a few other things.

Holy shit. That car has a LOT of gadgets wired up in it. Post some pics of what's going on under the hood if you don't mind. Looking at just the wiring alone, and not to sound rude but lack of knowledge about the car, you could easily damage something very quickly. What state are you in? Maybe a local member would be willing to help you learn what you need to know to keep the ride safe?

Holy shit. That car has a LOT of gadgets wired up in it. Post some pics of what's going on under the hood if you don't mind. Looking at just the wiring alone, and not to sound rude but lack of knowledge about the car, you could easily damage something very quickly. What state are you in? Maybe a local member would be willing to help you learn what you need to know to keep the ride safe?
No yea you're completely right man, I'll see if if I can post some pics tomorrow morning, the car came equipped with a lot of aftermarket mods, including a (stage 2) I should have mentioned that in the begining but yes the car has had a lot done to it and is nowhere near stock.

Last edited: