Engine Run Stand

turbodave231

Here is project My friend Dale and I have been working on since Christmas.

Still a few refinements needed, but It gets the job done. Now I can fire and run an engine, break in the cam and check for leaks before installation or delivery.

cool stuff dave, what kind of load does that provide on the motor? is it like revving in neutral?

Its not a dyno, so there is no load.......just like idling in neutral. I have a manual shift flywheel that I need to install. The engine currently on the stand doesn't like to idle without a little bit of inertia.

Dave

That is very cool Dave. :)
Can we expect a mass produced version I can buy within a week or two?

WOW.... I have an 'ol friend with the same name (Dale) and he use to make me some of the coolest stuff on the planet. Must be something in the name. Cool way to do you're job. Now.....stand back ten feet, snap a new pic, so we can really see the stand.;) I might have to make one myself.

Drain the fluid...and use a old convertor for intertia :) Cool stand!

Must be in the name.

My friend Dale is also known as McGuyver. He's not one for aesthetics but if he builds it you can pretty much bet that it won't break.

I can't see the video at work but stupid question time:

I have thought about something like this for a long time. Can't you just hook up a trans with a trans brake for a load??
Changing the converter /stall could help adjust the RPM range between pulls..
Start with a stock and work up to a 4500??

Archie,

That is something I had not thought about!! I have a couple of 400's sitting around gathering dust and an extra high stall converter. Trans cooling might be an issue, but that would provide a load!! Perhaps version 2.0 might include this as an option!!!

kool dave you should sell the instructions so we can all put one together- been on my mine for awhile!

That's awesome, trust me this save a ton of work if there is something wrong with the engine. We are planning to make something very similar. I just want to run the motor hot, check the hot idle oil pressure, cam break in (Flat tappet), coolant temp and so on. I was going to use a set of NA exhaust manifolds and run the MAF straight out the TB along with 84/85 ECM and harness because I got so many of them sitting around.

How is the Engine mounted on the stand? What kind of bell housing is that?

Thanks for sharing; I can use all the help I can get!

Prasad

Youtube is blocked here at work, so I can't see the video. But is it anything like this:

K.

Attachments

• Run-in stand 002.jpg
    Run-in stand 002.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 121
  • Run-in stand 003.jpg
    Run-in stand 003.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 114
I was thinking a water cooled trans cooler, ( bucket of ice water with the trans cooler stuck in it..)

But the options for trans cooling is limitless with it on the stand..

If your going through the trouble of starting the engine, I would want to put a small load on it... :)

A load on the engine would be nice, but just having the ability to run the engine is invaluable!! Leaks? fix them before install, other problems? Fix them too.

I have lots of "extra" parts like intercoolers, brackets and turbos. Finding enough spares to assemble this rig wasn't a problem. We can now test an unknown turbo for seal problems (oil consumption) by running it on a known engine. Yes, we can't load it up and spin it hard, but that's not the point of this exercise.

The engine is mounted on a BOP stickshift bellhousing that bolts to the back of the stand. I don't have any other mounting points!!! Just the bellhouse! It works great and the engine doesn't bounce up and down like you would expect. In fact, the stand wants to move very slightly right to left when at a very slow idle. If you ever read the Buick Motorsports book on V6 balance you can see and feel the natural shake in the horizontal plane that the book describes.

The stand is also designed for other engines. The next on the stand is a 496 BBC that is just about done. After that is a 1968 Olds 400 for a 442 convertible. The BBC will need some support from the motor mount area as well as the bellhouse.....The engine is all cast iron and is HEAVY when compared to our little V6!!