Engine, Pre-luber

TomShea

Minnesota Grand National & T-Type Association
Here's an article that I wrote for the MGNTA.
Pre-oiling an engine should help minimize the wear that occurs at startup. The rods and mains are suspended in a “hydrodynamic wedge” of oil that is supplied by the engine oil pump with the engine running. There is no oil pressure until the engine is running. This oil pressure is what keeps the contact from occurring between the rod and main journals and their bearings. These bearings are not designed or intended for direct contact with the journals. The bearings are basically a soft metal shim.
Do we really need to be concerned about this? Well, automobile engines have been designed this way for many years and some last for hundreds of thousands of miles. One factor may be how often the engine is run and if there is any audible evidence on startup. Whether or not you can actually hear any internal engine noise at startup, it is undisputed that there is accelerated wear occurring at that time.
I believe pre-oiling will prevent wear and enhance durability. The issue is whether it’s worth the time, expense and straying from the K.I.S.S. principal. I think it’s worth the extra complexity with a simple system.
If you want to address this issue, there are several different aftermarket kits available. Some have automatic electronic controls and can also be used as a timed, turbo oil cool down, after engine shut off. These types use an expensive pump. Others have an oil accumulator/reservoir that fills from engine oil pressure when running.
There are inherent liabilities and assets with either style system and this dictates how they are used. I prefer the simplicity of the pump style. I like being able to run it for longer periods of time than the reservoir style would allow and the pump is smaller and easier to find a good mounting location.
I decided to try and put together a simple and inexpensive system. I chose a pump that was only rated for 180 degree max temp. This heat rating is not sufficient for circulating hot oil for after cooling of the turbo. I will only use this pump for pre oiling. The 3 foot length of hose that feeds it from the oil pan will be enough to insulate it from engine oil operating temps. This pump is rated for 40 psi, but it only supplies between 10 and 15 psi according to my oil pressure gauge. This is sufficient for the intended purpose.
The pump is from Northern Tool and sells for $60. It was $73 delivered to my door. It is a “SHURFLO” 8000 series, agriculture, high pressure, diaphragm pump. It is not rated for flammable liquids. This pump is similar in appearance to the ones used in the “Alky Control” kits. I like these for a couple of reasons besides the cost. They have 3/8 Female NPT inlet & outlets, and a mounting bracket that can easily be used on the front bumper support.
The rest of the parts list includes a special fitting for the oil pan drain plug. This is a swivel, to allow easy removal for oil changes and to also align it to the hose. The part number from Summit is EAR-949065ERL. This is an Earls fitting. The actual description is, 90 degree coupler, Male -6 AN to ½inch X 20. It has an O-ring on the oil pan end ($21).
You will need about 10 ft of hose. I used Aeroquip socket-less -6, about $40. Four -6 female, swivel hose ends (Brass) $4 each. Two pump fittings, I used a, 90 degree male -6 to 3/8 NPT ($8.25), and a straight male -6 to 3/8 NPT ($2). ((Socket-less hose & fittings require a special tool for assembly.))
To plumb the feed hose to your engine you have to access your Oil galley. That is located above the oil filter. It’s best to drain the coolant and remove the lower radiator hose for easy access. I remove the oil filter as well. There is a brass ”T” fitting that is male NPT into the engine block and female ¼ NPT to the oil pressure sender for the dash warning light. There is a flare fitting for the turbo oil feed at one end. You can add another brass “T” in the oil sender location. You will have to be careful to only tighten when working with NPT fittings. Plan your work so the rotation stops where you want it and do not reverse rotation even a little. You will have to use a bushing if you use 1/8 NPT fittings. 1/8 is the way to go in this small area!
I usually encourage people to eliminate their warning light in favor of an oil pressure gauge. There is little room here for much plumbing or extra fittings. I suggest a ¼ to 1/8 NPT bushing and a 1/8 brass “T” with one feed for the oil pressure gauge and the other one for the hose adaptor fitting for the pre-oiler.
This last fitting will be a straight male -6 AN to 1/8 NPT adaptor fitting ($2).
You will also need a switch, relay and some wire to hook up the electrical power, and control it. This should be less than $20.
Total for this system in parts should be around $200. Plan on a day, or at least an afternoon for installation time. Call me for tech if needed. Good luck.

I use a Moroso Oil Accumulator for engine pre-start lube. It also makes sure you are getting enough oil during accel/decel/turning. I like it.

I have written the pre-lube system that I used, but I was unable find it since the board reface itself, and it might of gotten lose somewhere. I did check on my content, but the pre-lube thread is missing. Anyway, I have been using this web site pre-lube system and it works great.(http://www.engineprelube.com/instalubekit.html)
If you check out this site installation pictures you will see my 87' GN and how I set up the accumulator tank, and timer.
This system works on the oil pressure from the engine, once you start the engine the accumulator electric valve opens and the oil fills the accumulator tank. I installed a electronic timer set at 1 min. to close the accumulator valve when the cold engine start to run and capture around 60# of oil in the tank for the next engine start up. I know everyone's oil pressure is different when the engine is warm up, and my warm oil pressure is around 25# and still that's good enough for the next start up. When I first turn the key on, the accumulator valve opens up I can see the oil pressure rising on my oil pressure gauge, letting me know I have some engine oil pressure to prevent a dry start up.

I use a Moroso Oil Accumulator for engine pre-start lube. It also makes sure you are getting enough oil during accel/decel/turning. I like it.
How much did your system cost you and where did you get it? Where did you mount the accumulator? How long does the pre-lube cycle run? How much oil pressure does it show on your ga when you pre-lube?

How much did your system cost you and where did you get it? Where did you mount the accumulator? How long does the pre-lube cycle run? How much oil pressure does it show on your ga when you pre-lube?
Thanx, ONYX. What was the cost of your system?

I bought this pre-lube system years ago for about $199. and like everything else the price has gone up a bit.
If you read my thread you will see I wrote the web site where I purchased it, and if you click on the left installation pictures column tab, third car down you will see some pictures of what you're asking. Cold start up accumulator oil gauge shows 60# oil pressure, turn the key on don't start the engine my oil pressure gauge shows 20# oil pressure in the engine. I installed a one minute timer to capture a hot engine start up since the oil pressure is around 25#. If you still need any info PM me your phone # and I can explain it better than write up. (I live on the east coast)

On our dragster we just used a switch to break the coil wire,and turned the motor over till you see oil pressure. Then flipped the switch and started motor. If Im not mistaken Caspers say you can use the purple wire off the starter to turn motor over.

On our dragster we just used a switch to break the coil wire,and turned the motor over till you see oil pressure. Then flipped the switch and started motor. If Im not mistaken Caspers say you can use the purple wire off the starter to turn motor over.
I do agree that placing a switch to the starter to prevent the engine load, but you still cranking it dry. It may not be a load on the engine without running it, but cranking it dry is still dry. I have a normal stock engine and not a $10,000+ engine, nor do I want to start doing engine work due to lack of oil on start up. If you feel comfortable using a $1.00 toggle switch for your $10,000+ engine, then thats fine, I feel comfortable using the engine pre-lube system.

I don't remember the oil pressure during pre-lube - car has been apart so far this year. It was about $300 (including options - braided SS line, gauge on accumulator, inside switch) if I remember right. I got it from Summit Racing - it is mounted on the driver fender well - I have a switch under the dash to set it. The pre-lube cycle runs about a minute - you can hear it - but I have a gauge on the accumulator - when it drops to zero, I start the car. I LOVE IT!

I don't remember the oil pressure during pre-lube - car has been apart so far this year. It was about $300 (including options - braided SS line, gauge on accumulator, inside switch) if I remember right. I got it from Summit Racing - it is mounted on the driver fender well - I have a switch under the dash to set it. The pre-lube cycle runs about a minute - you can hear it - but I have a gauge on the accumulator - when it drops to zero, I start the car. I LOVE IT!

Don't you have a gauge located inside the car?
I too have a gauge mounted on top of the accumulator, but inside the car when I turn the key on and wait until I see the oil pressure gauge displaying some oil pressure and then I start the car.

Made your post a little more readable Tom. Now I know why my car had a pump on it that made no sense. It was there but not wired right so I took it off. I've used the Moroso tank set up before on the GT1 Corvette we used to run and have thought about doing the same thing on this car but that pump unit takes up space and it's not filtered the way the guy that had my car before me set it up.

Hi Charlie1,
The system I used is tee off the oil pressure and the oil is filtered already. I do agree with you as small these engine are there is limited space to place an accumulator tank. I placed the tank on the same bracket as the intercooler is located, but I'm already looking to relocate the tank and fasten it to the passenger side fender. The good thing with this system you can place the tank in any position and it will still work. If you are interested here is the site and ask for Fred, it's his system and he will help you out. http://www.engineprelube.com/instalubekit.html

Hi Charlie1,
The system I used is tee off the oil pressure and the oil is filtered already. I do agree with you as small these engine are there is limited space to place an accumulator tank. I placed the tank on the same bracket as the intercooler is located, but I'm already looking to relocate the tank and fasten it to the passenger side fender. The good thing with this system you can place the tank in any position and it will still work. If you are interested here is the site and ask for Fred, it's his system and he will help you out. http://www.engineprelube.com/instalubekit.html
Whoever did mine didn't use a tank but just did it off the pan to the turbo oil supply.:mad: Unfiltered oil going into the engine is a no-no as far as I'm concered with these engines so I'll be getting rid of the one I've got now for a Moroso set up. Never had an issue with it.:D