Engine overheating

airborne_rex

Grand Nasty
I just got my new chip today and I finally get everything put together and I start it up and let it run for about twenty minutes and I notice it's running hot. Checked the upper radiator hose and it is hot as well so doesn't seem that the thermostat is stuck closed. The water pump like everything else on this engine is brand new. Has plenty of coolant. Cap is holding pressure and fan kicks on at 160 +/- a couple degrees. Any suggestions on what else I can check?

temp

The fan is kicking on it'll get up over 200 if I let it, been cutting it off once it gets to 200, ambient temp is about 66 degrees.

Might need to be burped. release the air out of the cap when it get's up to temp. There must be air bubbles trapped in the system. Double check coolent levels and then stat. DO NOT OPEN THE CAP>>>JUST RELEASE WITH THE RELIEF VALVE

What kind of coolant? Pre mixed? You said engine is new. Are you sure there is a stat installed?

Checked it again with it just idling it gets up to 180 and the fan kicks on and cools it to about 172 shuts down then does it all over again. If the thermostat was opening I should be able to feel something moving through the upper radiator hose correct?

Using prestone mixed 50/50 radiator is brand new three core aluminum, and yes there is a thermostat installed I built the engine.

You could possibly have a bad stat. Pull it and put in boiling water to see if it opens up at 160. Other then that I'm not sure without seeing it for myself .sorry

This may sound dumb but are the fan / fans running in the right direction? I have seen them hooked up wrong before. Just a thought:smile:

Bad stat or installed backwards!! Don't seem like it's opening or if it's backwards it will also act the same way..

SW.

Yeah fan is hooked up correctly I never disassembled that. Just thought of something if the thermostat was opening like it was supposed to then the coolant in the radiator would be hot correct?

Give us a little time and we will have you dissemble the entire engine...;) But we will figure it out..LOL