engine harness fire. header panel removal

krisking94

So my 86 ttype caught fire. I believe a short in the engine harness. Luckily only the harness and 3 spark plug wires got damaged. As far as I know. But I have to remove the header panel to get the harness off. Are the any write ups on how to remove header panel? I'm positive I could do it without one but having a write up to look at just makes it that much easier. Any help or quick tips/tricks would be amazing. Thanks guys!

you dont need to remove header , just reach up and disconnect clips , undo the headlamps , park lamps at bumper (remove bezel and outer bulb and the ground near battery and it all should all slide out from driverside
you could remove the grill for easier access to clips

you dont need to remove header , just reach up and disconnect clips , undo the headlamps , park lamps at bumper (remove bezel and outer bulb and the ground near battery and it all should all slide out from driverside
you could remove the grill for easier access to clips
And by clips you mean the harness clip where it's plugged into?

The engine harness and the harness for the lighting is two separate harnesses. They come apart at the bulk head connector.

So my 86 ttype caught fire. I believe a short in the engine harness. Luckily only the harness and 3 spark plug wires got damaged...........

The first thing you should do is determine the cause of the fire, or you may experience something like this:

ENGINE FIRE.jpg

The first thing you should do is determine the cause of the fire, or you may experience something like this:

View attachment 257892

View attachment 257892
Mine doesn't look anything to that extent. Fire was going for maybe 2 min. Luckily someone pulled up with a fire extinguisher pretty fast and put it out. I'll post a couple photo when I get off work

The engine harness and the harness for the lighting is two separate harnesses. They come apart at the bulk head connector.

^^ yeah what he said

and by clips i mean the round ones that hold the harness under the rad support .open them
but like steve said its a separate harness from the engine harness once the main block is disconnected from the firewall the headlamp harness half can be slid out

Speaking of harness clips, the oval conduit that wraps around the heater box is held in place by two specially designed plastic clips, which fail due to poor material, and eventually let loose from their mounts. By now, all of them have started to fail. When they both let loose, the oval conduit drops down, hits the down pipe, and boom...harness quickly melts and a catastrophe happens.

At one point back in around 1993, I had metal clips available, but the plating on them fell under the EPA ban, so they were discontinued.

Soon after, I located the original injection mold tooling for the OEM clips and had them re-made using higher-temperature, stronger material. The currently available clips won't turn to putty like the original clips did. Cheap insurance to replace those clips.

Gotta link to these clips? I looked at the site but don't see anything like that.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk