Engine dies

87TIGN

Death by boost
Ok so my 87 has been acting weird lately. I just had about a month and a half worth of problems all because of my crank signal sensor (see my previous posts for more info). Anyway that is fixed turned out to be a bad pin in the connector and now the car runs great except for one thing. After I drove it for about an hour the other day it started to run rough and died. So I started it and it fired right up but when I gave it some throttle it started to bog down and begun to die again. So I nursed it home and parked it. About 3 hours later it started right up and drove perfectly no problems for the half hour that I drove it. Than today I drove it again and after about 25 mins it died it. This time it was a little harder to start but I nursed it back again. 10 mins later started right up and ran like a champ. I have a newer walbro 340 fuel pump in the tank and I have about 20-25 psi oil press hot, 32 psi fuel pressure, 164 engine temp. What is going on? Any ideas?

Fuel pressure is a little low at 32, try 42-43 lbs. of fuel pressure, I would have a look at the coilpack and ignition module.

Just died on me again and had to push it home. Pulled one of the plugs and it is BLACK with carbon and only have about 50 miles on them maybe. Does that help anything.

BTW I am running CR43TS Delco's which are colder than stock. I have a big mouth intake and a 3" D.P. Think my tune is off? Running a alky TT chip. Maybe the MAF?

Faulty MAF sensor will do that to the plugs...what about codes? Do you have a scan tool? If not, do the paperclip test and find out if there are any codes being thrown out by the ECM.

Ok so I finally got the chance to pull the MAF and clean it. Did that and put it back in tried to start the car and it started fine...than died:mad: :mad: :mad: . So I pulled all the plugs and put fresh in cause I thought maybe the plugs were fouled enough that they were the problem. Pulled them all and they were ALL soaked in fuel. I mean WET. So I put the fresh in, put the pedal to the floor to clear all the fuel and than attempted to start it. Started right up and ran great... for about 45 secs, than died and had the same issue. No start. I would assume the plugs are covered in fuel again but did not pull them back out. The car is shooting no codes at all. Sound like a MAF??

If the plugs are wet then the ignition is not firing. I would test the coil pack by checking the resistance between the opposite terminals with an ohmmeter. They should be somewhere around 12Kohms. The ignition module could also be heat sensitive and thus give out when the elelctronics heats up. The ECM should also be suspect.