Engine Compartment Clean Up and Questions

CzyKats44

This is the way.
Over the past few weeks I've been removing items cleaning, repairing if needed then reassembling them just to clean up the engine compartment. A basic tune up and cleaning is the only thing on the menu at the moment.

I'm in the process of replacing ALL of the vacuum hoses all around the compartment and that's going well ... I'm removing all the rotten and poorly routed hoses along with a throttle body teardown, clean and rebuild with fresh gaskets.

The TB was absolutely filthy between dirt, grit and varnish I used a half bottle of simple green to clean it.

Questions:

- Where can I get a new MAF to TB duct, mine is split in multiple sections on the accordion? It's adding to the filth I'm sure and I don't like it not being filtered. (I have not been able to find one on the well known retailer sites.)

- Why the long oil filler neck and cap with the screen and the hose connected to the MAF/TB duct? I think that too is where the dirt slick is coming from. Any remedies to keep the TB clean after the filter ? (PCV has been changed.) I want to keep it stock but is putting a regular oil fill cap better or a breather in its place maybe? Block off the MAF/TB breather nipple?

- The 84/85 vacuum diagram shows a 4mm from the vacuum block to a Tee to the Cruise and HVAC ... The vacuum line that goes to the HVAC Vacuum Tank is too small for the nipple, I can make it fit, is that ok, or too small of a line?

- Finally, there were no seals on the butterfly valve shaft in the TB, should there be?

Thanks!

QUOTE="CzyKats44 Over the past few weeks I've been removing items cleaning, repairing if needed then reassembling them just to clean up the engine compartment. A basic tune up and cleaning is the only thing on the menu at the moment.

I'm in the process of replacing ALL of the vacuum hoses all around the compartment and that's going well ... I'm removing all the rotten and poorly routed hoses along with a throttle body teardown, clean and rebuild with fresh gaskets.

The TB was absolutely filthy between dirt, grit and varnish I used a half bottle of simple green to clean it.

Questions:

- Where can I get a new MAF to TB duct, mine is split in multiple sections on the accordion? It's adding to the filth I'm sure and I don't like it not being filtered. (I have not been able to find one on the well known retailer sites.
---I have a spare stocker if you want it.

- Why the long oil filler neck and cap with the screen and the hose connected to the MAF/TB duct? I think that too is where the dirt slick is coming from. Any remedies to keep the TB clean after the filter ? (PCV has been changed.) I want to keep it stock but is putting a regular oil fill cap better or a breather in its place maybe? Block off the MAF/TB breather nipple?
---you can replace the oil fill tube with a breather if you choose....but if you do, you must plug the hole in the MAF pipe as it will be a big vacuum leak.

- The 84/85 vacuum diagram shows a 4mm from the vacuum block to a Tee to the Cruise and HVAC ... The vacuum line that goes to the HVAC Vacuum Tank is too small for the nipple, I can make it fit, is that ok, or too small of a line?
---the hvac/cruise doesn't require that much vacuum...I'd say try it....worst that can happen is the cruise won't set and the hvac will not change between settings...(then put the bigger line on it)

- Finally, there were no seals on the butterfly valve shaft in the TB, should there be?

----no.

Thank!

HTH. ---Keith

Pretty sure the stock hot air (84-85) throttle bodies did not have shaft seals....only the 86-87 ones did. Steve Monroe (throttlebodies.com) could say for sure.....

See what I get for posting in the non-intercooled section without looking???? LOL

You may be right !!! Sorry

Bryan

vent tube on oil filler is for metered air to enter the crank case as pcv is removing it... it is a closed system in stock configuration... all air entering the intake is metered through the MAF. any post MAF venting will cuase a lean condition.

vent tube on oil filler is for metered air to enter the crank case as pcv is removing it... it is a closed system in stock configuration... all air entering the intake is metered through the MAF. any post MAF venting will cuase a lean condition.

Bobs84, thanks for the input ... I didnt think the air quantity was that finicky, I'll run it stock with a better MAF pipe, fresh seals/vacuum hoses fittings ect and see if it stays clean. I'm not ready to start tweaking the computer just for a breather line.

Thanks Keith, It definately does help! I figured after the PVC change I'll run it and see if it stays clean because that may have been some of my filth issue. Leaving the MAF Pipe hole open wasn't going to happen ... defeats the purpose replacing my holey pipe, thanks for the heads-up though.

Here's a pic
1410302887397.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

As long as its better than his haha.

Attachments

• IMG_1806.JPG
    IMG_1806.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 131