Engine cleaning - what do you use?

Quick Chick

Being the better weather is upon us here in NY... I am going to fully detail my GN for the season. Any tips for detailing the engine on products? What do you guys do? I havent had to do it in a few years once the motor was done over... It's a little overdue for a good cleaning.

I personally am a big fan of Chemical Guys products. Their Back to Black product is my go to for engine bay Vinyl plastic and rubber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A good degreaser and then I follow up with cd2 engine detailer after I've dried the engine bay with a leaf blower. Hard to find cd2 but I bought 12 cans a couple of years ago so I'm good for a while.

Plan for a whole nice day.

First remove all items easily removed. MAF pipe, coolant reservoir, windshield wiper reservoir, air filter, charcoal canister, maybe even the battery, air filter or factory air box. Keep it simple. Lay them out on a table for later.

Then put a half cup of concentrated dawn dish washing detergent (smells good, works great) in a good garden type spray bottle and slowly fill the bottle with water so it doesn't suds up. Then spray the motor down with a heavy stream from the spray bottle, focusing on the real ugly down low areas.

Take a 2 inch round paint brush and tape it to a stick or something to give it a long handle. Use this to get down low and brush and suds up the nasty spots. Dip it in a coffee can filled with water/detergent and repeat until you are happy. While it's still wet and soapy, take some soapy scotch-brite and lightly scrub down the pipes, valve covers, plenum, radiator hoses, or anything else you can get to.

Then rinse the motor with fine heavy pressure from the hose. I cut the end off a section of hose and clamp a vise-grip on it to provide a thin heavy pressure stream of water.

Repeat, if not satisfied.

Then use the leaf blower to dry it. Or compressed air. But I like the leaf blower.

Most items can get wet and not be a problem. I never cover anything when I do this. I remove the breathers from the valve covers and just put a small piece of duct tape over the hole.

Paint touch-up as you wish. Armor-All as you wish, polish what you wish.

Clean what you removed earlier on the table and reinstall.

Let the engine dry real nice before you start it.

Thanks guys for all the tips. I really appreciate it. I will take pictures after it's clean and all the alcohol is gone :D I need to break out the stuff in the yard since the better weather is here and I still need to install the GNX gauges I have. So much to do... Who wants to help I will pay in alcohol, lol

I do pretty close to what NY twin turbo does, but use an electric blower...my gas one spits oil and crap all over the place lol

I do pretty close to what NY twin turbo does, but use an electric blower...my gas one spits oil and crap all over the place lol
I actually use the electric one too. It's just easier. Since my engine compartment has a lot of it's components polished or powder coated, these days I towel dry after blowing, then polish, then wax.

Reeves Blast off if you can find it locally... It's a common orange degreaser made for dealerships.

I've had good look with simple green myself... Use plenty of it everywhere and don't be afraid to power wash...

Good old fashioned Foaming Oven Cleaner works real good on baked on oil/grease. It's becoming more difficult to find though & you don't want it to land on your paint.