Engine bay and Frame painting question

watson86

Has anyone done this as a DIY with VHT or some other High-Temp paint? I understand prep is a huge factor... I have the frame to bare metal already and will take firewall to the same. Is this doable if prep is good and plenty or coats are applied? Any ideas?

Also, does anyone have any good ideas of road grime, oil, and grease removal from these places? Ideas are greatly appreciated. I am using elbow grease and multiple different wire wheels on dealt drills

I think if you're that far into it at least get a couple of quotes on getting it powder coated. It will hold up much better and cost/time wise might not be that big of a difference. Just seems like you've put a lot of hard work into it, would be a shame to have it go bad in a year or two.

Peter

Take the body off the frame and have the frame powder coated. I'm doing mine right now. I degreased the frame myself, re-welded the factory welds and boxed in the rear lower control arms. It's not as expensive as you would think. It cost me $800 to have my frame sandblasted and powder coated. Plus, I had to have it flat bedded there and back. If you do it this way you won't have to do it again in a few years. Will last a life time. Will cost you more now, but will save you money in the future. Also, if you decide to sell the car. Good luck.

If your not going frame off go buy a wire wheel kit for a 4" grinder. There should be a cup wheel and a flat wheel they will be thick. That will work for the grime. Cleaning I use a surface prep/ de-glosser or lacquer thinner. For the fire wall scotchbrite grey pads. Clean with solvent and use gloss black paint VHT or duplicolor. For the frame and suspension Eastwood extreme chassis gloss black. Works great they have it in satin if you want to keep the factory look. Aluminum foil is your friend if you want to cover anything up that you don't want painted! Of course powder coating is great for any removable parts.

i do this to every single car i do an engine swap on, i use a cup style wire wheel on a angle grinder for the frame and usually just a stiff scrub brush on the inner fenders and firewall. go to the autoparts store and grab a gallon of purple power or whatever degreaser they have, also before i had a pressure washer i would just pull the car up on the corner to the coin op carwash and spray the crap out of it. i always use semi gloss black rustoleum under the hood and use the rustoleum undercoating under the body, home depot and lowes always has it for the cheapest. Did my cutlass a few years back and sold it to my friend it still looks good, about to start on my new t type now

Kerosene,Purple Power degreaser and a good pressure washer.If you can get a heated pressure washer it will work alot better.I ran a hose from the hot water hookup from my clothes washing machine to pressure washer for hot water and between the kerosene,degreaser and hot water you will not need any brushes.

Has anyone done this as a DIY with VHT or some other High-Temp paint? I understand prep is a huge factor... I have the frame to bare metal already and will take firewall to the same. Is this doable if prep is good and plenty or coats are applied? Any ideas?
not the exact answer your looking for but i did a frame off resto on mine...i used chassis saver paint for the frame and engine bay area it worked great glossy as can be ,..hard as a rock...you can spray or brush and it dries without brush marks...hope this is somewhat helpful

image.jpg
image.jpg
Forgot to take some before pics ( lots of drinking involved ) but trust me when I tell you there was a sh*t load of grease on the frame, prob a good 1/4" thick. All I used was purple power and my pressure washer hooked up to hot water, took about a half hour to clean. Here's a in progress pic from earlier today.

Looks good! You got that pretty clean without having to use the hard stuff.... Will be a big improvement when finished.