Engine apart at machine shop. What to tell them at this point? Pointers? Tips? *pics*

Powdercoat the inside of the block you know yo want to :biggrin:

I wish! Powder coating the block is bad bad. Powder coating holds in heat and we all know how fast these things heat soak! That's why they left them raw for the most part. Raw steel let's the heat right out! :cool:

Ok just about ready to push the GO button on this build. Getting numbers in line and what parts. Those GM lifters are expensive little buggers even with my GM discount but you guys say they are the way so I'm going with them.

Few more final thoughts/questions...

Being this is going to be stock turbo, stock waste gate actuator build with Walboro FP, Hotwire kit, and 009 injectors... As far as pistons. I'm wondering if I should just go with hypers at this point. The builder was going to price them for me but he told me his distributors are out of stock and didn't get me a price just to see how much they are from forged piston price. I don't have plans to modify this thing into a 10 second car ever, but do I really even need to bother with forged pistons for this build?? And if not.. then were do I shop for Hypers who may have the kit in stock. I mean after all Hypers are a step above stock and guys have taken them deep into the 10's as long as you keep them fed with fuel. So help me make up my mind there please! :)

Next is cam. This is something I'm trying to be very careful picking since I'm going hydraulic and we all know how these cars are with cams. Comp Cam part number I found ( 69-248-4 ) is currently out of stock with them. I have someone getting me a good custom grind for a Comp cam but do I just trust the Melling turbo cam he wants to use that he likes. Staying around 204/214 type cam.

As far as the springs I told him to get me a good spring and he is going to spec them with the cam for proper pressure.

Going with the coated bearings for sure and other then that I think I have everything in place.

Thanks again for the help!

you can get the whole rebuild kit from summit with TRW forged pistons for $520 or hypers for $439
If you price it out buy its self you wont save any cash I bought it all from board vendors and ended up spending around $200 to $300 more on the same parts.

Federal Mogul MHP111-000 - Federal Mogul Premium Engine Rebuild Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Federal Mogul MHP112-000 - Federal Mogul Premium Engine Rebuild Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

Forged pistons by them selves will be around $450 with rings the speed pros are only $50 each but buy good rings thats $100 on top of that you may as well go with one of the kits. if you do get them by them selves g-body sels them for the same price as summit does.
If you have to go over 20 you can get the Wiseco kits wth pins and rings for $434 summit or $499 if you want to use a board vendor.
Wiseco PT040H2 - Wiseco Pro Tru Forged Piston Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Turbo Buick 3.8L V6 Piston and Ring Kits
I did not go with one of the kits and went with vendors from the board spent more money but I have faith it will pay off with customer service down the road.

I think I'm going to put my brain on vacation after this simple stock budget rebuild! lol Thanks for that information! One of my top secret sources on the boards here hooked me up with a great price on some stock GM lifters so that's one more thing down on the list bringing happiness a little closer! :cool:

If I was you I would have taken it to Dan Smith in Camden NJ not too far from you at all.
Hey I live around the corner from Dan. I go check him out every once and a while and right now I'm trying to build my own engine but believe me If I have any questions I going to ask Dan.