Emission failed: filter on EGR solenoid?

lotzagoodstuff

lotzagoodstuff
So I failed emmissions today, high HC (314 limit was 220). I had a very poor idle quality with the EGR plugged in, so I unplugged it and it ran better, however, it threw the "32" code.

So when I got back today, I manually engaged the EGR, and the car stumbled and almost died, which sounds normal. I decided to try to test the EGR solenoid, so I pulled the round cover off and when I removed the small air filter, the idle cleaned up and ran smoother. I put my finger over the EGR solenoid and again the car stumbled and almost stalled.

Here's my question: that little air filter, I can barely push or pull air through it with my lips. I believe this is prematurely opening my EGR, causing my poor idle quality. What's the risk of running the car back to emissions without this filter in place?

As always, thanks for the advice/tips.

Pulled off filter, much closer but still high HC on idle

So I figured I run it down to the test station without a filter installed on the EGR solenoid and it registered HC of 248, with 220 being the maximum. I am now within 10%, and my engine code 32 went away, so I think I've found the culprit. I am going to try to run some good fuel through it, but any other things I can do to try to get the HCs down? The idle seemed a little high to me, like 950 in neutral, and still a little lumpy for a stock GN, but this car did sit for a long time and I have a feeling based on the varnished fuel in the tank, the injectors may need cleaning (I think I am going to Seafoam the fuel system when I get it low on fuel).

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Take the egr valve off and use carb cleaner to try and clean some of the carbon out of it. The egr solenoid/filter I believe has a check valve so it should feel hard to suck on. I am parting my car out and have an extra egr filter if you want it for 20 shipped.

Passed

Well I turned down the idle as much as I could without putting the TPS out of signal (500ish), put in a new Denso O2 sensor and I managed to pass. 208 with a limit of 220 at idle on hydrocarbons.