Electrolytic Rust Removal

agteacher

Life is GREAT!!
Has anybody tryed "Electrolytic Rust Removal" on exhaust parts(headers).

We have some headers with some rust(scale rust on the inside) and thought we would try Electrolytic Rust Removal to clean-up the rust. The reason we are going to try to remove the rust:
( Most important BUT we are not sure :confused: if it will matter/hurt the turbo)--(1) we put a new BB tubro on this year and do not want to "mess-up" the turbo if the rust breaks loose from inside the headers and goes thru the exhaust side of the turbo :confused: ...... (2) I thought it would be a COOL ;) experiment for my shop students to do this summer, before we start working on our other summer projects :cool: .

:biggrin: Items that we are going to use: arm & hammer Super Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate), water, some new "scrape" flat steel, 2/5/10 amp battery charger, big bucket and well vent area.

Thanks

I would doubt that any little peices of rust would chip any fins on the new turbo, If there was "slag" inside of the manifolds where they were previously welded for cracks that could definatly pose a problem if that was to chip off and go through the turbo. I think you'll be ok, but by all means try it and let us know how it works out.

Give it a shot!

If it does not produce the results you're looking for, try seeing if you cant get a chemical rust eater and the nastiest looking pipe cleaner style brush you can get your hands on and clean them up as good as you can.

While the headers are off you might want to take a die grinder to the inside and port them as much as possible. I would also weld in reinforcements while they are off. Make sure you check out http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/engine-tech/258301-follow-my-port-polish-project.html

He did the clean up work Im talking about on his headers. Lots of other interesting "projects" to consider in that thread too.

I dont know if ceramic coating is in yalls budget, but the VHT flameproof paint when baked on properly is TOUGH stuff! I used it on the latest set of motorcycle pipes I made and it's good stuff.

and a bye the way: Im 21, an now a mechanical engineering student... My shop teachers were some of the most influential teachers I ever had. You're doing something cool man, just remember that those kids are listening to you. It makes me angry that "shop" is not considered and important program anymore, because shop was my chance to discover just how mechanically inclined I am. I dont know what I would be doing if it were not for my shop classes. The teacher's made all the difference for me...

My soap box...please excuse me for the short rant.

and a bye the way: Im 21, an now a mechanical engineering student... My shop teachers were some of the most influential teachers I ever had. You're doing something cool man, just remember that those kids are listening to you. It makes me angry that "shop" is not considered and important program anymore, because shop was my chance to discover just how mechanically inclined I am. I dont know what I would be doing if it were not for my shop classes. The teacher's made all the difference for me...

Yea, I hear you….. and I hope---- it(shop class) helps students BUT, every year it’s a battle to reach the “POWER People in Education” to fund the class. I know we need Doctors and Lawyers but, we also need to give students a chance to “try” something that is a little bit different from the regular classroom. This is the MAIN reason that I try to introduce my students to something that is fun and a great learning tool------THE Buick Turbo 3.8 !!!!!!! :)

removing rust using electrolosis

Has anybody tryed "Electrolytic Rust Removal" on exhaust parts(headers).

We have some headers with some rust(scale rust on the inside) and thought we would try Electrolytic Rust Removal to clean-up the rust. The reason we are going to try to remove the rust:
( Most important BUT we are not sure :confused: if it will matter/hurt the turbo)--(1) we put a new BB tubro on this year and do not want to "mess-up" the turbo if the rust breaks loose from inside the headers and goes thru the exhaust side of the turbo :confused: ...... (2) I thought it would be a COOL ;) experiment for my shop students to do this summer, before we start working on our other summer projects :cool: .

:biggrin: Items that we are going to use: arm & hammer Super Washing Soda (Sodium Carbonate), water, some new "scrape" flat steel, 2/5/10 amp battery charger, big bucket and well vent area.

I have used this technique before and it works pretty good.....just remember to use a sacrificial anode (I think I used a large SS Bolt) in the solution which is attached to the charger...the higher the amp battery charger the better...look for at least 10amps or more .......do some research on the subject...there's lots written about it.........you still may have to have them media blasted....for best results would suggest using aluminum oxide for your blast media. Sent mine to Jet Coat and had them refinish with Jet Coat 2000 Black......they'll blast with aluminum oxide to prep first prior to applying the coating. These have stood up remarkably well. You may want to just send them the headers and have them refinish and be done with it.

Good Luck with your project!

dave

Thanks

I have used electrolytic rust removal in the past with great results. It works, and there is little effort expended to do it. Just need to wait for it to do it's magic.

Just wanted to note that in order to get the rust off the insides of the pipes, that the juice needs to be from that side of the metal. IOW, need to place the metal rods on the inside of the tubes.

Can use various 'stuff' to keep the rods off the tubes and shorting out. A wooden disk comes to mind. Cut to fit inside of the header tube, with a hole through the center for the de-rusting rod.

That is just an idea to give an image of what needs to be done. Rubber grommets or bushings also work.

I also use the Arm&Hammer washing soda. Works well.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Thanks for the ideas and the replies.
IF, we do not remove ALL the rust scale from inside the headers and some of the rust scale goes into the exhaust side of the turbo. Will the rust damage the turbo?????
Thanks again for the replies

It is a bath solution used to remove rust and such.
Chemical can be acidic/alkaline. You can do some research or talk to chemical rep. ( pickled)..:biggrin:

The electro rust removal process works great on old motorcycle gas tanks- I had a friend that used it with great success.

I have heard of, but haven't tried, another method that uses a molasass mixture of some sort. It's supposed to work awesome.......

John

It works like a charm. BUT it is a line of sight kind of deal. So the rust on the inside wont be as effected unless you use an anode in the pipes with wooded spacers, do not let it touch. Also, DO NOT USE STAINLESS!!! It creates an extremely toxic reaction hazardous for you and the environment.

If your anodes get coated and ams drop before done, clean or replace them.

Molasses works great too. Takes some time, but works good. Smells terrible though. Maybe thats where is gets the name, because it smells like mole asses.