Electrical short

Hot Air Beast

Hot Air Lover
Got some weird electrical sh-t going on.
Blowing the 20 amp fuse that runs the interior light and the radio.
Turn on the headlights and the gas gauge slowly moves to empty.
Left turn signal works but does not light up on dash cluster and the gas gauge clicks slowly towards empty with every click of the turn signal.
Fuse will either blow right away or after 1/2 hour or after a day and a half.
Anyone ever have this type of situation? Ever find out the problem?

I have cleaned and tightened all grounds under the hood.

Driving me crazy and not in a good way.

Phil from Ottawa Canada - 84 GN - stock

Thanx Paul - am I looking for a broken copper path? Can new film be purchased anywhere? Can the path be repaired?

I had a Silverado with some mouse chewed wires. It had similar issues with signals. If the cluster is ok, look around for anywhere they might chew. They took bites from several wires and they coroded into one sort of mass which connected them via green corrosion.

Almost sounds like bad ground but bad grounds don't blow fuses due to high resistance. To blow fuses you need low resistance. Such as a power wire rubbing on the body or frame etc.

If it's the CLK/CIG fuse 20A, and it's the same circuits as a 1987 car check, the cigar lighter socket and wiring for a short as well as the glove box light and footwell lights and engine compartment light trunk light dome light.

Search feature using the proper fuse name should provide additional info.

Also thought of something else. Since it does odd stuff with the headlight on. The headlights have no fuse but they run off a fusible link
Those links are down on the starter motor and may have rubbed or melted.