Electrical problems

2FAST4U

:( I've got an electrical problem I've been trying to track down on a friend's GN. This thing is killing batteries. The car has been stored for a long time 5-6 years. It's back together now with a new battery, but the something is draining the battery. The said that if you unhook the ecm plug at the battery, everything is fine. The ecm was replaced recently, but the problem still exists. While at the track if we leave the fan on for 55-10 minutes, the car has to be jumped off. The alternator is putting out fine. Would it be worthwhile to replace the positive battery cable? Any other ideas?

I was a little confused by your post. You're saying that if you don't have the ECM plugged in, the battery holds charge fine. But if you plug in the ECM, it will lose charge?? Is that correct?

How long does it take to lose it's charge?? Overnight? One of the most common culprits is the fans coming on in the middle of the night. If the delay relay is bad, then it can and will turn on the fan at any time... leave it on for a long time and kill off the battery. Does the car have amplifiers or anything else not-stock??

Of course, the best way to hunt this down is to down an amp test. Unplug the postive cable, put a amp meter in between the hot wire and battery... then pull fuses until your amp load drops.

Good luck.

The car has no amps or alarms. I'll give the amp meter test a try and I'll have the charging system load tested too. Thanks.