Electrical Problems

DNA Strand

So I took a mini-road trip (2 hours each way) with my buick. Made it out there fins, but only made it 1/2 way back. I pulled into a gas station to fill up and when I went to leave the battery didn't have enough juice to turn the car over. "No problem," I thought, pulled out my jump box and hooked it up. The car started fine, but after I got it on the road I knew it wouldn't go much further. The turn signals would work intermittently and the lights were dim, when I drove the car if I gave it too much gas it stumbled. It reminded me of when you try to floor an old carbureted car before everything is warmed up and it falls on its face.. The scanmaster was reading less than 10 volts at this point. I found a nice little parking lot to hang out in while the tow truck comes from 60 miles away. When I parked the car it shut off by itself. The scanmaster read 8.x volts and as I pulled into the parking space it stumbled and slowly died. I couldn't have made it 2 feet further.

I was less than happy. Now keep in mind this car has a brand new, verified good, alternator and battery. I put on new power and ground wires as well. The car has a cluster of ominous looking wires coming out of the main wire loom and going to the battery directly. Its obviously something that someone added and they all have fusees. One wire seems to cut the power to everything and is needed for the car to run. Another wire had a draw on it, but only seems to affect the dome lights. Before I got the car it came from Wildcat engines in Georgia, he works specifically on turbo buicks from what I understand. When I got the car I briefly talked to him and he mentioned that car had "electrical problems" but didn't elaborate...they had supposedly been fixed as well, but I don't really know. I am not very good with electrical problems and could really use some help here.

Thanks everyone.

When you put your key in the ignition and turn it to the on position does the alternator light in the dash come on? If that light doesn't come on the alternator will not charge the battery,and the car will only be running off the battery until it is dead.

When you put your key in the ignition and turn it to the on position does the alternator light in the dash come on? If that light doesn't come on the alternator will not charge the battery,and the car will only be running off the battery until it is dead.

That should have said " when you turn the key to the on position the volt light should come on". just to clear that up,but i hope you knew what i meant though.

If your VOLT Light doesn't come on you will be eating through Alternators until it is fixed. I had this problem along with a bad fan delay relay that was draining my battery when I first got my GN. My friend fixed the light on the back of the instrument cluster and was good to go. If you do have this problem Caspers sells the Field fix kit it's like $40.

I'm having a similar problem. The car just went back togeather and now I have a volt light on my dash. The battery is brand new. The car will die and then if I boost it it starts and dies right away. If I charge if for 20 mins I can drive for about 10 mins, before it dies again.Im buying a new alternator, could it be another problem and not the alt?