Electrical gremlin trying to strike?

johnnyttype

So i first noticed my problem driving home from ocean city, i had only 60 miles on a fresh tank of gas and then all of the sudden i "alledgedly" burned through a record amount of gas in about 10 seconds... 7/8 of a tank down to 3/8 a tank:eek: I figured that could not be right so being the mechanically inclined sort i tapped on the dash bezel where the gauge is and i saw the needle jump up a little... so i tapped for 5 seconds or so and the needle once again read correctly?! problem solved... of course not!

A week later gauge starts reading unusally low again... this time at night and have near 3/4 tank of gas. So i tap on the dash bezel again... needle moves a little but out of the corner of my eye i swore i saw a red light blink? So now i turn my attention to the red light, and i notice that either the water temp or volt(i think it was the volt) light blinked after tapping a few times???:confused: Oh boy:rolleyes:

So my question is, is there anywhere or anything that could connect these two issues... ie: something behind the dash that reacts after tapping the bezel... loose ground or connection? I dont really feel like tearing into right now being hot and humid, but will if i must.

what do you guys think? if it matters, i noticed this acted up when it was very humid outside. I guess this is what i get since my air leak/wind noise magically disappeared recently:rolleyes:

thanks
john