Electrical Fuel Pump Issues. Newbie! Please Help!

JeffGordon

I purchased a Red Armstrong XP pump and hotwire kit which were both installed (by a mechanic) about a month ago. The other night I took it out and it would not start at the gas station. I couldn't hear the fuel pump whining at all. So I wiggled around on the Hotwire relay and the pump turned on again. (Thinking Loose Wire)

I turned it off again and it wouldn't restart. So, I wiggled the wires (Near the hotwire relay) again and it restarted. Hmmm.

Now, it won't restart at all. No fuel pump whine or anything. I don't think that it's the hotwire kit at all. The FP fuse is good. The factory wires are hot.Everything is working up to the orange connector (to the fuel pump). I also changed the fuel pump relay under the hood. I am thinking that it could be a ground or something loose up by the fuel pump. I had the pump installed so I am not really sure what the connections look like up there. I would drop the tank but it's half full of gas and wanted to weigh my options on here first.:biggrin:

Any ideas? It's driving me nuts and any input would be greatly appreciated.

If you have alternator power back at the hotwire relay, you will need to trigger the relay with a positive pulse to get it to feed power to the pump. (same thing the original orange wire does that fed the original pump)
If the relay clicks and the pump doesn't run you may have no choice but drop the tank. The ground feeding the pump could be bad (you would need a pretty corroded fuel tank for that to happen, and then your fuel level gauge would not work either).

I purchased a Red Armstrong XP pump and hotwire kit which were both installed (by a mechanic) about a month ago. The other night I took it out and it would not start at the gas station. I couldn't hear the fuel pump whining at all. So I wiggled around on the Hotwire relay and the pump turned on again. (Thinking Loose Wire)

I turned it off again and it wouldn't restart. So, I wiggled the wires (Near the hotwire relay) again and it restarted. Hmmm.

Now, it won't restart at all. No fuel pump whine or anything. I don't think that it's the hotwire kit at all. The FP fuse is good. The factory wires are hot.Everything is working up to the orange connector (to the fuel pump). I also changed the fuel pump relay under the hood. I am thinking that it could be a ground or something loose up by the fuel pump. I had the pump installed so I am not really sure what the connections look like up there. I would drop the tank but it's half full of gas and wanted to weigh my options on here first.:biggrin:

Any ideas? It's driving me nuts and any input would be greatly appreciated.

The first thing I would do is to simply unplug the hot wire behind the rear bumper and plug the stock connectors back together to eliminate the hot wire as a problem. 10 seconds and you will know if the hot wire is causing the problem or not.

The first thing I would do is to simply unplug the hot wire behind the rear bumper and plug the stock connectors back together to eliminate the hot wire as a problem. 10 seconds and you will know if the hot wire is causing the problem or not.

Agreed. We did this and still no fuel pressure or pump whine. The orange harness that runs to the pump is getting power.... but nothing happens. Could it be a bad ground before the orange harness. Thanks for responding!