electric fans

1fast6

How long should the electric fan run after shutting off car? I drove up to a friends shop today with the A/C on. Car got to about 195. I was driving it kinda hard:wink:
Anyways. I pulled into the garage and shut it down. Fans ran for about 10 minutes. I also put a big shop fan in front of the rad.
Normal?

From the factory the turbo Buick came with a fan delay relay that keeps the fan running after the engine is shut off.

I don't know what temp it's supposed to come on and I don't know if there's a certain temp that shuts it off or if it's done on a timer. (I want to say a timer, maybe someone else will chime in?)

However be advised this also caused problems as the relays weren't moisture tight and as a result, many a turbo Buick owner came out to a dead battery in the morning only to find out it was due to the fan running at 3 am un needlessly.

Any time the high speed fan is triggered and the key is turned off before the high fans go off, the delay relay will keep the fans funning for approximately 10 minutes. Whether it be from the AC turning the high fans on (high side pressure >225ish psi), or the engine temp (>~230*) turning the high fans on.

Your car acted normally. Typically when the delay relay fails the fans keep running until the battery dies.

Any time the high speed fan is triggered and the key is turned off before the high fans go off, the delay relay will keep the fans funning for approximately 10 minutes. Whether it be from the AC turning the high fans on (high side pressure >225ish psi), or the engine temp (>~230*) turning the high fans on.

Your car acted normally. Typically when the delay relay fails the fans keep running until the battery dies.

Is this delay relay needed? Can it be disconnected or should it be replaced?

Is it on the drivers fender closest to the firewall (of the 3 there) and the rear plug closest to the fender?

No the delay relay is not needed. In fact it causes more problems than what it's worth.

Yes you can disconnect it w/o any ill side effects. You can also replace it, but I believe a new one will run you upwards of $100.

Yes it's the biggest relay of the three on the driver side inner fender. It has two pig tails plugged into the bottom of it.

If you race your car at the track, you can hook up a new $7 relay (used for auxiliary lighting) from the parts store to manually activate the high speed fan to allow it to run w/o having to keep the ignition switch on while waiting in the pits/in between runs.

Any downside to having the fan always running with ignition ON?

So the a/c will only kick the fan on if there is pressure in the ac lines? What causes the low speed fan to kick on? What temp does the water temp sensor tell the fan to kick on? Any info on this at all will be greatly appreciated. I have a schematic and the wires are all good rang them out yesterday and I put a jumper in the relay and the fan is good I have let the car sit and idle all the way up to about 210 and the fan never kicked on.

So the a/c will only kick the fan on if there is pressure in the ac lines? What causes the low speed fan to kick on? What temp does the water temp sensor tell the fan to kick on? Any info on this at all will be greatly appreciated. I have a schematic and the wires are all good rang them out yesterday and I put a jumper in the relay and the fan is good I have let the car sit and idle all the way up to about 210 and the fan never kicked on.

Ok, low speed fan operation:

Low speed fan is controlled by a) ECM according to coolent temp via the sensor in front of the intake, pointing forward, with the black and yellow wires. Fan on temp is a parameter set in the chip. b) low speed fan is also commanded on by the AC high pressure switch. I am not sure what pressure closes the low speed contacts. There will be two green wires leading to the low pressure fan relay. If you ground either of them, the low fans should come on. If not, inspect for 12v at the red wire to the relay. This wire comes from a fuse link located at the starter solenoid. If you have 12v, and grouding the green wire causes the relay to click, check the resistor at the cooling fan. Sometimes they crack causing low fan to become inop. If the relay doesnt click, check for 12v on the brown wire, which is keyed power, coming from the "PWR BRK" and/or "RLY" fuse under the dash.

high speed operation:

High speed fan is controlled by a) the temperature switch in the intake manifold pointing UP. It has a green/yellow wire to it. This switch closes at around 225-230* and will energize the high speed relay. b) the AC high pressure switch HIGH fan contacts, which close at approx 225psi. The high speed relay will obviously override the low speed one as the high bypasses the resistor built on the fans. This relay too gets its high current power feed from a fuse link at the starter solenoid, and the relay coil gets power from the same brown wire as above. The green/yellow wire is grounded by the high pressure switch and/or the coolant temp switch.

Any time the high fan is triggered, via the dark green/yellow wire, the delay relays counter is reset and if the delay relay loses power to the red wires, the timer begins to count down approx 10 minutes. While counting down the delay relay closes its contacts and power remains on the blk/pnk wire to the fans. The delay relays high current power feed also comes from the fuse links at the starter.

So, if the low speed fan doesnt work, ground the green wire. If the fans come on, then the PCM or the AC high pressure switch arent grounding the wire. If the fans dont come on, but the relay clicks, check for power on the red wire to the relay, if you have power on the red wire, check for power on the red/blk *WITH THE RELAY ENERGIZED*. If the fans dont come on and the relay doesnt click, check for power on the brown wire (key on, engine off)

Same holds true for diagnosing the high speed fan, but its the green/yellow you want to ground. The red and brown wires are common to both relays, so provided there isnt a problem in a harness, if you have what you need on one, you should have it on both. Oh, and the relays output wire TO the fan is a blk/pnk wire.

If the high fan works, but the low wont, and the relay switches 12v to the blk/red going to the fan, then check the fan speed resistor for power in and out.

Its really a simple system, not like the newer cars where they use each motor to drop current to change speeds and they use relays for on, off, high, low for each fan. THEY can be a pain. This should get you rolling. Let me know how you make out.

I went outside and did some checking and I used the pressure switch on the ac (easiest one to get to) to short the green and green with yellow and they both activated the fan one for low speed and one for high speed. so my guess is the pcm isn't activating the fan any idea's on how to fix this or how to determine the preset point in which it will ground this wire?

I also think the delay relay is not working properly you can tap it with you fingers and it will kick the fan on and it also doesn't automatically start the fan when you shut the key off, so I am guessing it is bad also. This car sat for 6 years with out being started so I am guessing this may have something to do with these problems.

Mycar has sat for 3.5 years , just revived it. I can get sparks around pass head near ground and when the sparks pop, the fan will turn on...I think in fast mode. Anyone had this? Ground is tight. I dont know why a fan ground would be so far into that wire pack, winding up to rear of engine, but i guess it has to be a gnd or else, if hot, it'd be burning up. I also did have issues with fan turning on at 3am before parking it.

Well , i found ground wire hiding, un-attached at pass head. Maybe when it was arcing, it was re-setting the time delay relay. So i guess the spontaneous fan turn ons will continue. I did put a new t. delay relay on about 5 years ago, still has spontaneous turn ons.