Electric fan wont turn on

HOTSIX

Ran outta hand cleaner
I have the Caspers elect fan kit with the Valeo dual fans on my car.

Two days ago the fans just stopped working (while out driving in 100 deg heat no less). I checked the relay that comes with the kit and replaced it - unnecessarily I think.

I followed the guide on Vortex Buicks and have done a search here for help but it seems the Vortex guide is more for 86/87 cars as the wiring colours are different in the how-to-fix instructions.

I tried direct 12v power to the fans and they work.

I have 4 wires in the relay connector. One black (which I assume is ground) that goes to the 87 ECM I have and also to the fans ground connection, one is red - 12v batt power, one is pink/black which goes to another relay on the pass fender and one is solid pink that leads directly to the fans 12v power connection.

I have 12v at the relay on the red wire and ground on the black. Dont know why things arent working from there. I have no other signal when I sould because the car is over 160 deg which should be telling the ECM to turn the fan on.

Could it be my coolant temp sensor? I measured that connector with a voltmeter (yellow wire + blk wire) and the voltage was low but decreased as the car heated up. I recall it was at 3.xx volts and decreased ever so slightly from there but never went to zero.

My Autometer guage is connected to the other temp sensor at the front of the intake (one wire idiot light sensor I believe) and seems to work fine. The temp goes up and down on the guage as it should.

Anyone have any ideas?????

what are Valeo dual fans? new/old?

You shoud have it connected to the AC clutch(power) it can be use just in case this happens to feed the fans power, just tap into the A/c Power.

what type type(power) is the relay? With dual fans, i heard you might/have to run dual relays.

Dual relays?

Well I have been using this set-up for a few years...but it just failed two days ago. You think the single relay isnt enough? It has been working great - turning the fans on at 160 everytime.

I just cant figure out why it stopped working???

Super frustrating tho....dont know how to measure/read the voltmeter on the CTS or anything else related to the wiring on the relay...other then as stated I have 12v+ and a good ground. Just not sure what the other two wires should read and when....:confused:

Look up the part # brand, it will tell you the wire meaning. From what i can remember yes you might/should run dual relays but IMO. I have a single 18'' fan and use a HD 40relay.

any fuses blown? I swapped over to Smartglow fuses.

Ground the wire that go's to the ecm,if it turns on the fans than your temp sensor is bad.

Temp sensor. I wired both my GN,s to turn fans on when ignition is on i got sick of this. And in Florida heat it needs it. It can be 98 degrees and motor never goes over 170

Ahhhh...how did ya wire it to do that?

I would def do it that way now.

I tried grounding the wire going to the ECM (blk) when the car was heated up - nothing happened. Holy frustrating.....

How do I tell if the CTS is not working?? If I unplug it what will that do?

Help!

I tried grounding the wire going to the ECM (blk) when the car was heated up - nothing happened. Holy frustrating.....

Help!

I unplugged power to fan zip tied them up and out of way just in case i ever wanted to use again. Ran heavy guage wire from fan to new fuse and switch. Then ran heavy guage wire from battery. Then found wire that turned on with ignition and that was turn on switch. Have to use thick wire i think i used 12guage. first i used 18 guage and it melted wire.

Help!

What does the scantool indicate for temp? Any SES codes?
Are you getting power to the relay?

Your problem is the relay or your temp sensor.Open up the relay and see if its clicking on or off ,and check if the two contact points are not burned( its like points on and old ignition)If they are burned file them to remove the crud,if that works get a new relay.

Jerryl - I have an Autometer temp guage that is indicating correct (and appropriate) temps. It SHOULD kick fans on at 160 deg but stopped doing so. No SES codes or light. Im getting 12v power to the relay and ground there as well (the blk wire that goes from relay to ECM is the ground).

Fmster - How do I open up the relay to see if it is clicking on or off? I replaced it with a new GM one and that didnt solve the issue. Reason I did so was the one contact (12v one) was burnt and the plastic around the connector was melted ever so slightly.

If temp sensor is no good shouldnt I be getting a SES code / light?
Is there a way to test the temp sensor to see if its good w a voltmeter?

Thx in advance for help guys...

I had the same thing happen to my 87 Buick,it ended up being the Temperature Fan Control Sensor.To check to see if the sensor was bad I grounded out the wire going to the sensor and the fan came on,I replaced the sensor and every thing been working fine.

Jerryl - I have an Autometer temp guage that is indicating correct (and appropriate) temps. It SHOULD kick fans on at 160 deg but stopped doing so. No SES codes or light. Im getting 12v power to the relay and ground there as well (the blk wire that goes from relay to ECM is the ground).

Fmster - How do I open up the relay to see if it is clicking on or off? I replaced it with a new GM one and that didnt solve the issue. Reason I did so was the one contact (12v one) was burnt and the plastic around the connector was melted ever so slightly.

If temp sensor is no good shouldnt I be getting a SES code / light?
Is there a way to test the temp sensor to see if its good w a voltmeter?

Thx in advance for help guys...

Most of the "good relays" can not be opened as they are sealed.
I am pretty sure you have a good realy with the Caspers kit.

Let me back track my thoughts.
The autometer temp may indicate the 160F (May be inaccurate), but, if the ECM is not seeing that, i.e., ground the relay, it will not turn the fan on . . . . but you have ground the relay and the fans did not run.

As fas as testing the CTS; Not sure if there a procedure for VOM testing, but in essence, you have bypassed the sensor by grounding the signal wire.
Be cautious; I had a brand new one that was bad from the local part store.

Anyway . . . This is my understanding thus far;
The fans were running, and stopped suddenly (?).
You have ground the wire to the ECM and the fans did not run.
There is power to the relay.
You have replaced the relay without any success. (?)

I would;
Build a jumper wire with some 11-12ga wire.
Run power direct from the battery to the fan and see if it is good . . .
If yes
Run direct power to the relay, and ground the signal wire.

If the fans do not run, check the grounds, otherwise the fan motor may be done. :frown:

Okay thx guys - tomorrow i'll be checking the fans again to ensure they work but I'm sure they did when I tried them.

If I ground the CTS yellow wire that shud kick the fans on? Its the CTS that tells the ECM what temp to kick the fans on at right?

My Autometer guage is connected to the sensor on the front of the intake below the top coolant hose (think its a single green wire only). The CTS is the other sensor on the top and to the drivers side of the intake coolant hose.

My Autometer guage seems to be providing reliable and accurate info at the appropriate times. I have heated up and shut down the car several times during my troubleshooting and reading the guage during it.

I just wanna be sure when I ground the yellow wire on the 2 wire CTS (yel and blk) it wont mess anything else up electronics wise and it will just tell the ecm to turn on my fans.....