Electric fan from a junkyard?

D

dave84gn

I got my engine out, and don't want to put that damn shroud and mechanical fan back in. So I wanna grab an electic fan for better cooling, more room, more power, etc etc.

I wanna save money so I'm planning to grab an electic fan from some front wheel drive GM at a junkyard. What do you guys think of that? Has anyone done this or thought of doing it?

Will I have trouble mounting/attaching it?

Are the fans pretty powerful (maybe I should buy a brand new one if the stock GM ones are weak)?

Thoughts, comments?

Thx.

Dave

My daily driver is a '94 Buick Regal GS with the 3800. I really like the dual fans in it. I am trying to locate a set of them for my '85 project. Try locating a set of those and see what you think.

Stock dual fans, wow :)

cool84: so the Fiero fan will fit on our radiators? I've heard the 86/87 rads were larger.

Dave

The 87 fan fits perfectly with the stock radiator. It covers the whole core but isn't too big. It fits between the end tanks. When I had the stock radiator. I cut my fan shroud to where it was flush with the radiator so it still held it in place but the shroud part was gone. It looks factory.

Go to the boneyard.........My dad and I both use a fan from a late model GM car. My dual fan set-up came from a 98 Camero....gave 35$ for it. My Dad's fan came from a late model Caprice. Only minor trimming to the plastic shroud was nec. to make it fit the rad. Pulls air like a MF'r and looks great.......Good Luck