Electric fan..... Does any one run one?

87GN_ponykillr

Buick addict
Since I am sticking a new rad. in the car I have noticed the fan clutch seems to be loose and I think that might have been some of the cooling issues also. What I'm thinking is going with a electric fan on the rad? Who ever runs one how do you have it set up? toggle or rigged up another way? what kind of fan are you running?

Since I am sticking a new rad. in the car I have noticed the fan clutch seems to be loose and I think that might have been some of the cooling issues also. What I'm thinking is going with a electric fan on the rad? Who ever runs one how do you have it set up? toggle or rigged up another way? what kind of fan are you running?

Here is what I did.

Dual Ramchargers from Gbodyparts.
Single 86/87 electric fan conversion kit from Caspers for a hot air.
Added dual electric 87 relay kit after single conversion kit above burned out the relay due to dual fans.

This setup eliminates any foolish toggle switches, no load on the battery and is 100% automatic and controlled by the ECM and TT chip. Good luck. Brad

I took the dual fan set-up from any late model GM vehicle. Converted the plug end of the fans to match my TR wiring harness. Bought a 15$ fan controller switch from Advance Auto and mounted it under the hood out of sight, set it to about 175 degrees and left it alone.......I did wire the switch through a relay. The switch is actually a dial that you can set the "turn-on" limit for the fan. HTH.............Defiantly s$%t-can the clutch fan ! :D

Here is what I did.

Dual Ramchargers from Gbodyparts.
Single 86/87 electric fan conversion kit from Caspers for a hot air.
Added dual electric 87 relay kit after single conversion kit above burned out the relay due to dual fans.

This setup eliminates any foolish toggle switches, no load on the battery and is 100% automatic and controlled by the ECM and TT chip. Good luck. Brad

This is what i did as well. however i didnt have to use the dual relay kit with mine. my stock caspers is running fine

i found a 16" Hayden electric fan in another Regal in a junkyard, paid $10 for it, and wired it up using a Hayden fan relay kit i bought at Mills Fleet Farm (the greatest store there ever was- but it's only a MN/WI thing, so everyone else is SOL on that one...) for under $20. but the temp probe that came with the switch kit doesn't work- it's one of those things you stick in the rad core- so i just have it wired to be always on with the key right now. i plan on getting a temp switch from NAPA and wiring it up all oem like when i get the car up here from my mom's place. i think the 87 ecm i've got now also has the option to turn the fan on, so i might just wire that up, too.
as for how it cools- it does just as good as the clutch fan, but the front of the engine is so easy to work on now. of course, i also put in a bigger 3 core radiator and top plate from an 83 Cutlass i parted out at the same time i did the fan swap...

This is what i did as well. however i didnt have to use the dual relay kit with mine. my stock caspers is running fine

Brent-You are lucky here. I burned up two single relays before adding the dual Caspers relays after the single relay. Our setup really keeps our cars cool and hassle free. Take car and Merry Christmas to all. Brad

Enlighten me Brad..........what does the Casper harness have on it and is it a HA only part ?.....Thanks

Enlighten me Brad..........what does the Casper harness have on it and is it a HA only part ?.....Thanks

Dwayne- I had heating issues with the stock radiator and clutch fan. Running 225 on a hot day. Added a Modine 951 radiator and put a stock 87 fan on. This requires the Caspers 84/85 conversion kit to the 86/87 single fan. The TT chip controls the fan. This dropped temps on a hot day to 195. The conversion kit adds a relay which takes the electric load off of the battery. Still too hot.

I then removed the stock 87 fan and put on the dual ramcharger fans. Everything ran great and temps were low 170 to high 160's. Then after several months the dual fans burned up two single relays. Blown relay means no fan. No fan is bad. I then added the dual Casper 87 relay kit after the single 84/85 conversion kit. This required a simple adjustment to the 87 connector. I am now triple protected with relays. Everything is automatic. Take-care. Brad

I used a FLEXALITE adj thermo switch, hooked it up to a XR7 fan(mark 8 fan) or one of your choice. I got a metal fan shourd from a monte carlo at the junkyard for 5 bucks. Cools the car really good on low setting. Total cost was 50 bucks(fan was free, it was clean to)the prob has good contact. Other then that i never had any problems with it. Gets power with key on. If it reaches my temp setting it turns on, then right back off when cooled on its own. I need A/C relay it but ITS COLD OUTSIDE so not now.

l_72cf2bf03cdd485bbc04235b88933200.jpg
SSPX0121.jpg
SSPX0125.jpg
and yes you get alot more working room:wink: i think i can stand in my engine bay if i wanted to haha SInce these pics i have put the shourd over the fan and used a think rubber seal to make better flow&seal. Looks good a bit high, the fan is a lil to big for this car. It works and hasn't mest up since.
l_f33ed5cb850d4f1e973932480e21efb8.jpg
That metal shourd was trashed i cleaned it up and touched it up with semi gloss black:smile: IF i really wanted to i could fab up some brackets n lower it a bit, use a seal for the top and bottom. Then it would really look good:cool: i got to make time tho

Dwayne- I had heating issues with the stock radiator and clutch fan. Running 225 on a hot day. Added a Modine 951 radiator and put a stock 87 fan on. This requires the Caspers 84/85 conversion kit to the 86/87 single fan. The TT chip controls the fan. This dropped temps on a hot day to 195. The conversion kit adds a relay which takes the electric load off of the battery. Still too hot.

I then removed the stock 87 fan and put on the dual ramcharger fans. Everything ran great and temps were low 170 to high 160's. Then after several months the dual fans burned up two single relays. Blown relay means no fan. No fan is bad. I then added the dual Casper 87 relay kit after the single 84/85 conversion kit. This required a simple adjustment to the 87 connector. I am now triple protected with relays. Everything is automatic. Take-care. Brad

Thanks Brad.........good answer.

David, Thanks for the pics that looks GREAT!!! I think I might just take your route with mine. What kind of MC did the shroud come off?

not sure but it was a 82-88 all the same, i would say a 85 MC a normal one, tho there was a Cutless next to it at the junk. I think both will fit, I see them on ebay for 35+ which i may BUY A few at the junk n resell HAHA. I paid 5 bucks for the shourd. Good luck, tho i will go with brad on this, the ECM and fan harness etc ARE the way to go for a NICE CLEAN factory look tho:biggrin: At the time i was on a buget Divorce:eek: I kept the my TR,NOVA,CHEVELLE ipod,labtop/desktop,TV sound system, she kept the house,SUV,family car etc.

eBay Motors: Mark VIII (8) 2 Speed Electric Fan Mustang 5.0 Jeep (item 160295747295 end time Dec-29-08 20:10:27 PST)
eBay Motors: 17" 2-Speed Electric Fan OEM Cougar Ford Mustang Camaro (item 150317276984 end time Dec-28-08 11:40:34 PST) I wish i got this fan, would have fit PERFECT
IDK about these but look nice
eBay Motors: PROCOMP 16" INCH ELECTRIC COOLING RADIATOR FAN CURVED (item 260324105552 end time Dec-29-08 12:12:00 PST)

holy cow i haven't posted in ha section so long i feel like a outcast.

heres a pic of mine. pretty much same as brads. used the caspers fan relay and is controlled by 87 ECM. fans are the dual ramchargers that gbody parts sells and after you shave the plastic side clips they are perfect fit inside the autozone $95 dollar fbody radiator that drops right in perfect fit, held down by the 86/87 (and other model v8 gbodys) radiator hold down plate.
Never any problems (knock on wood :p ) with the fans full blast dragging down the amps, but i've done the 140 amp conversion also (na 3.8 alt bracket w/lt1 alternator).
temp stays at 160-165 no problem. think i seen it go up to 175 a couple times on 95 degree plus days, but isn't a issue with me.
i also added a combo oil/tranny cooler and doesn't seem to affect the performance of the fbod radiator and ramchargers fans either.

for no more money than was spent, (did all work myself), you just can't beat this combo imo.

holy cow i haven't posted in ha section so long i feel like a outcast.

heres a pic of mine. pretty much same as brads. used the caspers fan relay and is controlled by 87 ECM. fans are the dual ramchargers that gbody parts sells and after you shave the plastic side clips they are perfect fit inside the autozone $95 dollar fbody radiator that drops right in perfect fit, held down by the 86/87 (and other model v8 gbodys) radiator hold down plate.
Never any problems (knock on wood :p ) with the fans full blast dragging down the amps, but i've done the 140 amp conversion also (na 3.8 alt bracket w/lt1 alternator).
temp stays at 160-165 no problem. think i seen it go up to 175 a couple times on 95 degree plus days, but isn't a issue with me.
i also added a combo oil/tranny cooler and doesn't seem to affect the performance of the fbod radiator and ramchargers fans either.

for no more money than was spent, (did all work myself), you just can't beat this combo imo.

Thanks TB3. I have the same setup but had to add the 87 dual relay kit in order to run the dual ramchargers. I am running a stock 90 amp alternator which is why you are running the the 140 amp alternator. Are you happy with the downpipe? Take care and Merry Christmas. Brad

merry christmas to you my friend.

i am 100% happy with the downpipe! I'd spend the money again tommorow.
its by far the best mod i've done to the car so far. I have alot of new parts sitting on my bench ready to go on in the spring. alky kit, t33 turbo, 60 lb injectors, ported throttle body, etc.. now i just need spare time :)

AHH the LT1 alternator upgrade, i need to do that. MY FAN, 320watt Sound system, FP hotwire kit makes my stocker WORK hard. Was gonna go powermaster but LLT on a 140alt at autozone better in "the long run" by the eagles. I see N/A 3.8 all the time and forget to get the bracket. SO with bracket and LT1 alt ,Everything should just bolt up right??? got to do that upgrade :biggrin: NEXT ON MY TO DO!!

If you are a cheap BUSTARD like me... go to the local PULLAPART and get a dual fan set up off a front drive 3800 series Buick, Old, Pontiac. I got a dual fan and dual fan relays of a front drive late model Riviera. Fought two latinos for my own tools:mad: WTF, lost my best pair of Needle nose plier :mad: and paid $20.00 for the whole setup.....PRICELESS:cool:

The best cooling fans come from Dodge and Ford... Here are some pix

Attachments

• intrepid_fans%20(Medium).jpg
    intrepid_fans%20(Medium).jpg
    81 KB · Views: 338
  • Grand Am fan.jpg
    Grand Am fan.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 338
  • Dodge Caravan Voyager.jpg
    Dodge Caravan Voyager.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Neon Dual Fan.jpg