Electic fan wiring setup?

Chatmanboy

Anyone running an electric fan w/o using caspers 84/85 kit, that works good? My relay keeps blowing ever since the weather crept up into the 100!

The problem is your fan or fans draws a larger load than the stock 86/87 electric fan. I had to add a second fan relay kit after the 84/85 kit in order to run my dual fans. One other solution is to get a thermostat controlled fan kit and bypass the ECM all together. Stay away from switch controlled fans because you will forget to turn it on. Brad

I got my dual fan/theromstat kit off of Ebay like 3 years ago. Only problem I ever had was when I pressure washed the engine compartment and filled the Bosch relay with water!!

You can buy the thermostat control units from autozone...

I work at AZ and you can get the controllers from 17.99 all the way up to 73.99 depending upon what quality and features you would like. Most stores will probably have only one in stock unless your town has a hub store and then visit that store.

You can got to autozone.com and search for electric fans and in the results it will show the control units.

Jerry jr.

Brad... i seen in one of your other post was to put " A temporay fix is to put a wire accross the connectors in place of the relay. The fans should turn on when at operating temperature as before." what did you mean by that?

Brad... i seen in one of your other post was to put " A temporay fix is to put a wire accross the connectors in place of the relay. The fans should turn on when at operating temperature as before." what did you mean by that?

What I mean is that the wire will power the fans all the time whether the car is running or not. It bypasses the relay. This is a means of running the fans after the relay is blown in order to get your car home. I keep a spare wire in the car. Brad

i have a Hayden relay kit triggered by the ecm. it's running a 16" Hayden electric fan that i picked up at the junkyard for $10..

Chatmanboy buy urself that 86/87 dual fan harness relay kit and install after the 84/85 conversion kit I just did it a few months ago and no problems

Chatmanboy buy urself that 86/87 dual fan harness relay kit and install after the 84/85 conversion kit I just did it a few months ago and no problems

I did this four years ago and no problems ever since. Buying new relays got old really fast. Brad

I bought a adjustable fan controller kit from summit and it works great, just had to play around with it for a couple days to get it set at the right temps. There's no numbers on the adjustment screw, I bought the kind that plugs into the intake I personally don't like the ones that go between the radiator fins. Paid like 40 bucks

The problem is your fan or fans draws a larger load than the stock 86/87 electric fan. I had to add a second fan relay kit after the 84/85 kit in order to run my dual fans. One other solution is to get a thermostat controlled fan kit and bypass the ECM all together. Stay away from switch controlled fans because you will forget to turn it on. Brad
I got the 86/87 realy kit today. need help on how the wiring goes after the 84/85 kit!

I got the 86/87 realy kit today. need help on how the wiring goes after the 84/85 kit!

Installing Caspers 87 Dual Fan Relay Kit 109069 to Caspers 84/85 Fan Concersion Kit 102066.

Kit 109069- Install relays where you wish along with the fuse link to battery(last). The fan connector harness end on kit 109069 needs to be unwired and rewired to match the fan connector on kit 102066. This means taking the connector apart and moving one wire to the correct location so the two match. This way the ECM energizes kit 102066 which energizes 109069 which powers the dual fans. Post back with questions. Brad

Just like brad said just match the wires from the 86/87 dual relay harness to the 84/85 conversion harness very easy I believe it's only one wire, the grounds line up but the orange and black w/ red stripe don't so just pull out the blk w/red stripe from the 86/87 dual harness and move it to the center slot so it will line up with the orange wire from the 84/85 conversion harness hope that helps another thing if u choose to run the dodge dual fans Ull have to do the same just switch the wires to match the dodge fans connector u might not have to but if u do it's real easy i have pics of the connector where both harness connect so u can see if ud like just shoot me ur email and I can send to you I would post here but my iPhone doesn't allow me to do it and maybe u can post it for future guys If u need any more help or pics just ask:biggrin:

ok i barely was able to get to it today. But have a problem, im running a single markVIII fan. Do i just disregard the smaller harness on the 86/87 kit with the green,yellow, n black wire? and splice the other harness with the fan connector?

Relay still blew out! guess i did something wrong. i have a single fan... So what i did was cut the connector off the 86/87 and wired the black wire with the black one on the 84/85 and the black w/red to the orange wire. Then wire them to the fan connector! With the other harness on the 86/87 relay loose! can someone help with whats wrong?