EGT Bungs

Troy D

Looking at installing some EGT bungs on my new Gee m headers. Anyone with experience with these please chime in.
Looking for some photos and possibly some measurements. How far away from the header flange do they go? Obviously they all have to be the same distance.
Any help would be appreciated.
TIA Troy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I wouldn't go any further than 1 inch from the header flange (I think 3/4 is usually recommended) This gives you the closest read of combustion event. I use an open element thermocouple (exposed tip), and I have also noticed that what seems like even one single miss-fire or dead compression stroke will throw raw cool fuel out on to the sensor showing a low blip on the recording.

I have had my EGT probes in this location for about 13 years now and have only needed to replace one. And that's because it seized in the header and I couldn't get it out. Otherwise they are pretty tough and hold up well to the environment they are subjected to.

When placing the bungs, don't drill the hole first! Use a nut, feral and piece of tubing to extend out a "handle" to hold the position and angle you desire while spot welding them for placement. Then get them all where you like them, then complete the welds.
And then finally twist in the fitting and drill through the center of both the fitting and bung to put the hole in the primary. Drill the hole slightly oversize. don't worry about this oversizing much. The seal happens at the nut and ferrule. If the fit is too tight, you will never be able to get the damned things out when you need too. Carbon deposits or just plain bad luck will seize the thing into the header. Trust me on this.

Also, it is good practice to face the 90 degree turn on all the probes perpendicular to air flow. Try to set the probe tip depth as close to center of the pipe as possible before tightening the nut.

Something like shown in attached.

Attachments

• IMG_0576.JPG
    IMG_0576.JPG
    959.8 KB · Views: 85
  • Joeys car pics 016 (3).jpg
    Joeys car pics 016 (3).jpg
    778.6 KB · Views: 82
  • Joeys_car_pics_015[1] (3).jpg
    Joeys_car_pics_015[1] (3).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
I have 6 probes in my headers I bought the kind that didn’t need bungs welded to the headers I just drilled a small 1/8” hole and the clamp seals it all up . I also have had a set that I welded some bungs in I’ll get you some pics when I find them .

Thanks guys, going to be doing this in the next few weeks

Troy, I can take pics of the egt bungs on my stage 2 headers for you if that would help.

I beleive cylinder #1 needs to have the bung at like 2 or 2:30 O'clock orientation to clear the AC lines....but I need to verify that

That will work
Since they are not on the car was gonna test fit a small piece of pencil or a 16d nail and just mark the new headers as I try it on my old ones.
Thanks

I'll go pull my headers outta the box right now. Gimme a few minutes please.

Btw those new FMIC's I was always talking about us making...we have 2 Bell cores and 2 Treadstone cores..and the Bell cores are going to be truly game- changing once we show with real test data just how efficient these Bell cores really are...

I wouldn't go any further than 1 inch from the header flange (I think 3/4 is usually recommended) This gives you the closest read of combustion event. I use an open element thermocouple (exposed tip), and I have also noticed that what seems like even one single miss-fire or dead compression stroke will throw raw cool fuel out on to the sensor showing a low blip on the recording.

I have had my EGT probes in this location for about 13 years now and have only needed to replace one. And that's because it seized in the header and I couldn't get it out. Otherwise they are pretty tough and hold up well to the environment they are subjected to.

When placing the bungs, don't drill the hole first! Use a nut, feral and piece of tubing to extend out a "handle" to hold the position and angle you desire while spot welding them for placement. Then get them all where you like them, then complete the welds.
And then finally twist in the fitting and drill through the center of both the fitting and bung to put the hole in the primary. Drill the hole slightly oversize. don't worry about this oversizing much. The seal happens at the nut and ferrule. If the fit is too tight, you will never be able to get the damned things out when you need too. Carbon deposits or just plain bad luck will seize the thing into the header. Trust me on this.

Also, it is good practice to face the 90 degree turn on all the probes perpendicular to air flow. Try to set the probe tip depth as close to center of the pipe as possible before tightening the nut.

Something like shown in attached.
What size EGT bungs 1/8 or 1/4 on ATR 4 bolt headers