EGR solenoid Vacume

viokrome

I have been chasing down a high BLM and INT's going up and down, fixed the cracked driver side header and dry rotted vac lines so when I pulled the mighty vac out to test the vac line I got all vac lines to hold vacuum except for the EGR vac line. So I isolated each line in the system and they all held vacuum except the EGR solenoid isolated from the rest of the vacuum lines. So my question is should the EGR SOLENOID hold a vacuum with the car off solenoid not powered? Could this cause my idle int's (124-138)to rise and fall every second and create a high blm(142-144)? Car is all stock with a scanmaster. No MAL codes.

If your EGR is operating at idle you'd have a real crappy idle, is your idle crappy? It will also cause surging at light throttle cruise.

"From one of Razors posts" The EGR solenoid is a bit tricky to test, you remove the filter from its rear, plug the hole with your finger, apply vacuum to the port, it should hold. The EGR valve should hold vacuum as well. As does the cruise, AC dust hoses, boost guage, vacuum ball,etc.

RL

I have a rough idle on cold start up surges and sometimes dies, when warmed up idles but rough. I am going to start the car and warm it up and pull the the egr vac hose off to see if has a vac on it. I just thought that with the car off the egr solenoid should be closed so it should hold a vac, will have to look at the schematic to see?????

If the EGR is NOT holding vacuum, that indicates it is not working, so that cant be the source of your problems, UNLESS theres a piece of carbon or something holding the valve off its seat.
I noticed in your signature your car is bone stock.
You still have the stock chip in it? If so, the stock chip is known for cold fast idle surge, and sometimes stalling.

If the EGR is NOT holding vacuum, that indicates it is not working, so that cant be the source of your problems, UNLESS theres a piece of carbon or something holding the valve off its seat.
I noticed in your signature your car is bone stock.
You still have the stock chip in it? If so, the stock chip is known for cold fast idle surge, and sometimes stalling.[/

Stock chip, car is all like it was from factory except for a test pipe( cat went bad ) The EGR valve itself will hold a vac.
but the EGR solenoid wont when car is not powered, my question was should the egr solenoid hold a vac with the
car not powered? Thanks for all the input!!!

The EGR will not hold vacuum unless its commanded to do so by the ecm, which powers the EGR solenoid. Do yourself a BIG favor, replace the stock chip first. I was trying to chase down the same symptoms when I bought my GN back in '98, it drove me nuts until I replaced the chip with a more modern one. Ask the guys on here what all they use for stock type engines, I'll bet it will be a difference like night and day, THEN, go from there.

The EGR will not hold vacuum unless its commanded to do so by the ecm, which powers the EGR solenoid. Do yourself a BIG favor, replace the stock chip first. I was trying to chase down the same symptoms when I bought my GN back in '98, it drove me nuts until I replaced the chip with a more modern one. Ask the guys on here what all they use for stock type engines, I'll bet it will be a difference like night and day, THEN, go from there.

Thanks! I think you are right, what chip did you go with? I was trying to keep it all original but not opposed to installing a chip and injectors!

The current chip in my car is the one for the LS-1 MAF and translator plus, BEST upgrade I did for my car. Along with the damn light throttle surge, AND tip in hesitation I could never get rid of, my original MAF took a shit, I called Modern Muscle and ordered their LS1 MAF, and Translator plus, WOW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!! It drives as it should, no tip in hesitation, no surging.